Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Professionals given no credit on forums..

A friend of mine who was a more than capable woodworker and builder once said, "Being a professional means knowing what you can get away with". He was not one to cut corners but he knew what his standards were and how to achieve them in his work efficiently.

In the same vein a New Hampshire boatbuilder named Bud Macintosh was quoted as saying, "Being an oldtimer in a miserable occupation like this means you've learned the balance between how good it should be and what they'll pay for, and how good it has to be before you lose your reputation."

Amateurs can shoot for the moon and take as much time as they need to get there. Most pros have to reach the moon on a budget, ignore the budget and hope to get paid anyway, or settle for sublunar orbit.

As far as being given credit for being a professional on a forum like this, I think you earn credit for the value of the work you show and advice you offer. After all, "On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-02-2024 at 7:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    After all, "On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
    I'm pretty sure everyone on here knows I'm a dog
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    So I guess if you don’t allow professional as a term, then I guess highly skilled in my field. I did find when working at the furniture company , how many cabinet guys were unskilled at building furniture. I found they didn’t have patience and wanted slam together and go.
    Jack, I consider the term “professional” to mean someone not in the trades who has their ability to work in the profession controlled by a governing body (doctor, lawyer, engineer etc).

To the best of my knowledge, the end of the Guild system was the end of furniture or cabinet makers being a regulated trade.

Other trades do need a license to practice and that ability can be revoked by the licensing body.

I’m a technologist so no governing body, so not a trade or profession.

Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Will just call it skilled..

I've read every post on this thread, still confused, can someone give an example of how "Professionals are not given no credit on forums"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I've read every post on this thread, still confused, can someone give an example of how "Professionals are not given no credit on forums"?
    Because there is no such thing according to the forum. So we will use the term “skilled”

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Because there is no such thing according to the forum. So we will use the term “skilled”
    I wasn't aware of that, must have missed it in the Terms of Service.

Yes, this thread is confusing. I think someone is not happy because he isn't recognized as a professional or skilled ??? I judge someone skills by their work and not their words.

I believe that was mentioned in The Fountainhead , love the art, don't meet the artist.

Loved The Fountainhead , Couldn’t get through Atlas Shrugged, I was aging and needed time to get a job and find a wife .
    And I couldn’t follow all the rules.

Ha ha, I also loved the Fountainhead and never made it through Atlas Shrugged.

Same for me on those Ayn Rand books. What about us Jacklegs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Same for me on those Ayn Rand books. What about us Jacklegs?
    Funny stuff ! Remember the Classic Comic Books ? Wonder if they now have an Atlas Shrugged , hey! It’s a Classic, and
    I could absorb it in less than a half hour !
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-02-2024 at 9:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Read The Fountainhead twice (once in High school, 2nd time sometime in my 20s)
    Read Atlas Shrugged twice (both on my own; i.e, not for any class even tho' the first time was during my HS senior year).
    Read We the Living once (on my own also in my senior year of HS)
    Tried to read A.S. recently ...ugh. Never again. No longer have any interest in Ayn Rand
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I remember a good friend telling me about Atlas Shrugged, he was quite animated ,while describing what sounded like a war . He had
    several copies that were autographed by Rand. I bought one and kept it for years , I think my Son might have it , We have at times
    traded stuff.