Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: source for IEC metric 3 phase motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post

Many of the Eaton motor starters fail in Minmax Centauro bandsaws, and I did replace this starter and coil when the earlier one failed. I will check the voltages at the motor to make sure all 3 phases are present. I can also check the starter connections to make sure the starter should pass enough current. Maybe I should also swap the 3 phase circuit breakers in the load center to make sure the circuit breaker is not limiting the current?? Or plug the bandsaw into one of the other 3 phase receptacles if I can reach it??

Dennis
    I'd put jumpers around the magnetic starter and turn on the saw with the circuit breaker before I looked for a mechanical issue now. The actual contacts in the magnetic starter could be bad. In the old days we would use a tiny ignition file and clean up the contacts. I'm betting on unequal current to all 3 phases now.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-01-2024 at 11:05 AM.

Use a megger to test the motor windings. If the starter is a known issue jump around it and see.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The breaker can’t “limit the current” all it can do is open under overload conditions.

Check voltages at the motor under load, you may have a very low voltage on one phase.

Regards, Rod.
    A breaker can't limit the current, but a multi-pole breaker can fail on one leg, causing all sorts of weird things to happen. I had it happen on a two-pole 240V breaker for my electric dryer a few years ago. The dryer would run the drum and blow, but would not heat. I started poking around with a voltmeter, and found that the Pushmatic breaker had failed open on one leg. Even with no wires attached, it would not close with a reset. Fortunately, my wife's coworker (they work at an electrical supply company) had a 30A Pushmatic 2-pole breaker in his personal supply at home, for whatever reason. Cost me a couple beers for him to bring it by.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    A breaker can't limit the current, but a multi-pole breaker can fail on one leg, causing all sorts of weird things to happen. I had it happen on a two-pole 240V breaker for my electric dryer a few years ago. The dryer would run the drum and blow, but would not heat. I started poking around with a voltmeter, and found that the Pushmatic breaker had failed open on one leg. Even with no wires attached, it would not close with a reset. Fortunately, my wife's coworker (they work at an electrical supply company) had a 30A Pushmatic 2-pole breaker in his personal supply at home, for whatever reason. Cost me a couple beers for him to bring it by.

Had the same issue at a cousin's house, except it was late 1970's. Had a Pushmatic breaker on the truck, switched it out and dryer worked great again.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The breaker can’t “limit the current” all it can do is open under overload conditions.

Check voltages at the motor under load, you may have a very low voltage on one phase.

Regards, Rod.
    I understand that the breaker should be able to pass its full rated current unless tripped by an overload. I was wondering if a failing breaker could be ON but not pass its rated current. Probably not!

I did check the voltage at the motor between all three phases with the saw running. All three are 247 volts. I can't hold the multimeter probes on the motor and try to do a thick resaw at the same time. I need someone else to help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Phase perfect recommends replacing the capacitors every three years.
    Bill D
    Three other 3-phase machines are running fine, so it is not the Phase Perfect.
    I did, however, replace the capacitors a few years back.

Thanks