Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally Useless=USPS Tracking

Totally Useless=USPS Tracking

Ordered a couple light bulbs for wife's car on Tuesday. USPS tracking shows label created on Tuesday, and then nothing more. Remember that was three days ago. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow by seller. Recently got another package shipped USPS, that after it was delivered, tracking only showed label created. If they aren't going to fix tracking problems, then get rid of it!

Blog Entries
    It’s getting to were they will put in delivered that morning, but it doesn’t show up till later in the day. What I order from EBay users seems to be on time..

It's best not to pay much attention to "Label Created" either with USPS or UPS or Fedex. I think sometimes the employees don't then get around to getting it put out for pickup that afternoon. The USPS Informed Delivery has been spotty though, not all items get photographed etc. and sometimes a photographed letter won't show up until the next day.

Usually label created means the USPS hasn't received and processed the item yet. I am getting a package today from the USPS that the tracking has been updated. It shows delivery today and that it is out for delivery. I haven't been obsessing over it. I just looked at the tracking the first day and the only reason I looked today is because of this thread.

Thirty years ago when I worked in a warehouse the shipping labels were printed in the main office. Our boss picked them up in the morning and drove them to the warehouse. Those printed on Friday did not get picked up until Monday.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thirty years ago when I worked in a warehouse the shipping labels were printed in the main office. Our boss picked them up in the morning and drove them to the warehouse. Those printed on Friday did not get picked up until Monday.
    Bill D
    The same thing still happens today only faster "label created" notices from automated computer emails.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have had an EBay seller create a label with Fedex and not actually ship the item for over two weeks. Many EBay sellers will rush to create a shipping label even if they don't actually ship the package for a few days. Their EBay rating is based in part on how fast the item is shipped. EBay considers the item shipped when a tracking number is supplied.

USPS doesn't seem to update their computers as often as the big two. Often it'll take a day or two for a shipment go from number created to actually in transit. Often the day USPS says it'll show up is off by a day or so. Usually a I get it a day earlier. If it's something I need I'll watch it's progress. Otherwise I don't bother.

I've run into the eBay problem too, and it is annoying when I'm waiting for something I need to complete a project. Overall USPS tracking has not been a lot worse for me than other companies, so far.

I just went through the same thing. Ordered on the15th. Email order "shipped" Friday the 16th. Label typed maybe printed. Monday 19th I tracked it delivery set for Wed. 24th. Wednesday "order delayed but still on the way". Finally delivered Monday the 25th. They must have taken the long way from Indiana to Virginia.

My favorite is FedEx economy shipping. Up to 7 days to deliver. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    It's best not to pay much attention to "Label Created" either with USPS or UPS or Fedex. I think sometimes the employees don't then get around to getting it put out for pickup that afternoon. The USPS Informed Delivery has been spotty though, not all items get photographed etc. and sometimes a photographed letter won't show up until the next day.
    For some small volume shippers they may only have pickup when they have a certain
    Volume that accumulates or 2 to 3 times weekly. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    USPS doesn't seem to update their computers as often as the big two. Often it'll take a day or two for a shipment go from number created to actually in transit. Often the day USPS says it'll show up is off by a day or so. Usually a I get it a day earlier. If it's something I need I'll watch it's progress. Otherwise I don't bother.
    I'm curious as to who you think the "big two" are.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Wouldn't it be UPS and FedEx? I use UPS to ship all my instrument boxes, since USPS raised the price so high for large boxes.

A quick Google search confirmed my suspicion: Amazon overtook both of those in market share of package delivery in the last few years (I think I saw they topped UPS last fall, and FedEx in '20).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore