Thread: Waterproof Cusion box for deck

Waterproof Cusion box for deck

I would like to build a box to store our cushions on the deck but concerned about potential mold issues due to high humidity if I make it waterproof. It does rain often here. My question is whether this is advisable. Would I just have some screening built into the box to allow for ventilation? Also any advise on materials used to build a box would be appreciated. I am thinking of using cedar boards along with some kind of plastic wrap to keep the rain, spiders and rodents out.

Ventilation is a good idea, especially if the cushions ever get put away while wet. The trick will be adding vents where they won't admit rain. On the bottom and near the top where they are shielded by an overhang on the top would probably work. I'd consider using composite decking or PVC as the material for long term durability and minimum need for maintenance. If you have wasps around, make sure the vents are screened and the top is good-fitting, wasps love to build nests in protected areas like this (damhikt!).
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks for the advice Paul!

I bought a keter 165 gallon deck box from sams club last year. The cushions are 100% dry inside. The only downfall Ive noticed is the stinkbugs can get in. Even if you are building you may want to check out the design