Thread: Segment length measurement

Segment length measurement

Hi All,
    I’m beginning my journey into segmenting. I am using the Pete Marken Hybrid Sled which is fantastic and an adjustable stop for setting the size of the segments that I made. (See Photo) I remember seeing a picture of an adjustable stop that had a built in digital caliper that I thought was a pretty slick idea. Not sure where this person got it and I cannot find that image any longer. Just wondering if anyone has seen this or knows of such a device.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's just a digital way to replace a sine bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d-hGd_kYLc

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Hi All,
    I’m beginning my journey into segmenting. I am using the Pete Marken Hybrid Sled which is fantastic and an adjustable stop for setting the size of the segments that I made. (See Photo) I remember seeing a picture of an adjustable stop that had a built in digital caliper that I thought was a pretty slick idea. Not sure where this person got it and I cannot find that image any longer. Just wondering if anyone has seen this or knows of such a device.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Try Tom Lohman.

20230901_155002.jpg
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I started with store purchased pine or MDF, practice cutting pieces on your first few projects with something inexpensive ,and flat. The Art Of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbetts is a excellent book and many other resources are available.

Honestly IMO, if your just starting your journey into segmenting, I wouldn't get obsessed about the "exact" segment length.
    It's more important that they are equal length and all the proper angle, which is easily achieved with a simple stop block. A DRO for edge length is simply a luxury.

It's also important to leave enough extra material to compensate for cutting errors, fitting errors and turning choices.

I'm interested too. I watched Tommy on Ask This Old House do a segmented bowl and was interest in the jig he used to cut his pieces. It was homemade. Does anyone know of a source for a set of plans? Thanks, Jim.

Search Jerry Bennett's site "segeasy." has plans for what he calls sawstop. It is very precise because you use a vernier caliper to set the segment length. Functionally the same as Lohman's but a bit simpler design in my opinion.

I will repeat, nothing special is required. A simple stop block to ensure consistency is all that's needed, you're just cutting angles.
    For "basic" segment cutting, a simple miter sled is all that's required.

Ed is correct,and consistent cuts on angles is just as important, pieces cannot move, use clamps to hold stock,Not Your Fingers . And again make sure your stock is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    Try Tom Lohman.

20230901_155002.jpg
    I exchanged emails with Tom and he no longer makes or sells these. There wasn’t enough sales to merit the close of making them. So I’ll just continue using my digital calipers.

Jeff,
    I made one of those and I'll try and get a picture on here later (it's bedtime now). I can't remember where I got the idea for it...I've searched the internet with no luck. Anyway, I will post a picture.

I cut segments for rings of 18 blocks on the bandsaw, using the rip fence to set the length and miter gauge to set the angle. I use a backer stick on the miter gauge to support the back of the strip of wood I am cutting. I've cut many thousands of blocks this way. My method would not work on the table saw. To me, cutting small blocks on the table saw would be like driving finish nails with a sledgehammer. It's possible, but not convenient.