Thread: Making moulding tips

Making moulding tips

Hi, I have to make a couple of pieces of moulding to match so I made recently. I used to router bits. My plan is to carefully set the heights using a scrap piece from my original milling. Any tips on how to do this better

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Patrizi View Post
    Hi, I have to make a couple of pieces of moulding to match so I made recently. I used to router bits. My plan is to carefully set the heights using a scrap piece from my original milling. Any tips on how to do this better
    It’s been years since I routinely made mouldings using router bits. Always need to plan the order of all the bits you will be using so that
    you don’t cut off a done section ,while making the next one. Sounds like you are careful and already planning. It’s a needed skill.
    Without it you run out of solid places for your bearings. It’s a good idea to save the paper drawing of all the steps . Many times someone
    in an office will be careless about figuring how much a customer will need. I used to always ad 25 percent for the good contractors and
    more for the undereducated ones. They would call saying they didn’t order enough and had to have more quickly. No way to duplicate your
    good work without your ‘map’.

If you gave us the dimensions of the moulding, accurate tips would be easier. I bought a used William and Hussey for $450 and have knives ground to cut all the moulding I need. Also easy money selling to old home restoration people.

like richard but a woodmaster, changed out the shaft and had a corrugated head made. Works well just dont ask me to run enough for the Taj Mahal. Ive seen guys do cuts on tables saws and get close and then use a shaped cabinet scraper to get there.

Like Richard said put more info or cut a piece or do a trace and people can help you if they have idea of what you are asking.