I'm pondering the economics of a mill vs buying rough lumber at retail/wholesale. In the Bay Area, depending on where you shop hardwoods like Oak and walnut can run up to $15-18bf/ft, or more for the rift/quarter sawn stuff.

If one is able to source your own logs, running your own mil and kiln seems like a good way to control costs. I get that there's quite a bit of labor involved in a mill, and also why rough lumber costs what it does.

For me since I'm in a residential area a small electric DIY chainsaw or bandsaw mill would make the most sense. I'd weld up a simple frame on wheels like the woodland portable mills, to allow tucking it away in a corner of the yard, and adapt a 7.5-10hp three phase motor for power. Trailer I have will work with some tweaks (add a logging arch and winch). Got an area where a 8x12 solar kiln would fit as well. Probably consider a standard Alaskan gas chainsaw mill for any situations where it makes sense to mill offsite.

I'm a small guy in the Napa valley, locating logs every few months in the surrounding areas (Sonoma, Lake, Mendocino counties) shouldn't be that difficult. What experiences have you guys had?