Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Printer purchase advice

One other advantage of laser printers is that the printouts don't smear when wet - this usually isn't a problem, but back when I had an inkjet, if that printout got wet, the ink (water soluable) would smear, making that printout potentially useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, lots of printers are multifunction and provide scanning. But what a lot of us are saying is that inkjet printers have gotten to be a pain when it comes to ink cost and life and we've found a preference for current generation laser printers that have come down significantly in price. They can also be had with the multifunction design with scanning and copying. In fact, I'd personally want/need that, while for Professor Dr. SWMBO, the basic print only box was perfect for her needs now that she no longer is teaching.
    Jim,
    HP calls their Laser printers LaserJets, somewhat confusing since "Jet" makes one think of InkJet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    Inkjet printing was a scam 20 years ago and it's frustrating that it's still going on.
    https://pluralistic.net/2021/02/18/i...ches/#hache-pe
    The first HP Deskjet printers became available in 1988. They were intended to provide higher print quality than dot matrix at a lower price than laser printers of the day. I started college in 1990 and ended up buying an HP Deskjet printer my second semester. The college computer lab offered no cost dot matrix printing, but the laser printer cost five cents per page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    Jim,
    HP calls their Laser printers LaserJets, somewhat confusing since "Jet" makes one think of InkJet.
    Same as it ever was. Back in 1989, I bought one of the very first inkjet printers: an HP DeskJet. They were already on the second or third generation of LaserJets at the time. And I seem to recall that their Ethernet-to-parallel network adapters had a 'Jet' in the name as well.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-05-2024 at 7:30 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The complaints about inkjet ink costs reminds me of a well-known hack for the early-'80s Epson dot-matrix printers.
    When the printing started to fade, you could open up the ribbon cartridge and spray WD40 into it to extend another week or so of life.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Jim,
    Yes, that's true...and I'm sorry if I missed the wording. When I think of "LaserJet", my mind still goes to the old time "tanks" that were the market leaders years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

way back used laser jet 6. They had a feed roll issue. It could be solved with an additional foam thing. I never heard about it. that finally died someone had given me another one and carried on. Next got the HP laser jet pro M402dn and now many years on it its been flawless. Cartridges cost and when they get weak I take them out and shake them and then I get more printing till I get out to get a cartridge. Ive weighed old and new and the difference is small. Pretty sure a smart person could figure out where to drill and put ink back in. saw this done with a cheap printer where they did tests on how many pages and it was pathetic. He did careful testing in different ways and the cost to keep buying cartridges. He drilled and filled and it worked great. Ink sucked out of bottles.

Have an Epson 1270 a friend made a living on for years. I got it and it did great colour work. Eventually no more cartridges available though maybe some aftermarket. What I like is it weighs a ton. Pretty guys took bottles and ran hoses to them and carried on. Reading one day about colour printers there were advantages to Ink Jet and to Laser if memory is working said Laswer was more conducive to brochures and promo work and ink jet did higher quality. Didnt put much time into it.

For the black M402 or others has anyone drilled and filled their old cartridges?

https://www.costco.com/hp-laserjet-p...100652793.html

Color Laserjet also scans. I know you say you don't need color but once you have it you will find applications for it. I have also found the scanning capability to come in handy. My version is 8+ years old (M277) and still going strong
    How is the color "made"?
    Straight B/W laser printers (I have one...HP 2015) use a toner cartridge.
    What do they use to get colors?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

https://www.costco.com/hp-laserjet-p...100652793.html

Color Laserjet also scans. I know you say you don't need color but once you have it you will find applications for it. I have also found the scanning capability to come in handy. My version is 8+ years old (M277) and still going strong
    I had one similar but got rid of it when I had to keep buying cartridges because they are chipped and would not print after a certain date. It was more expensive than an inkjet printer for printing. I got a dell color all in one that has cheaper cartridges and is not chipped. I have had this one for 12 years now
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 03-06-2024 at 7:01 AM.

The nozzels on inkjet cartriges can often be revitalized by cleaning with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol,

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    How is the color "made"?
    Straight B/W laser printers (I have one...HP 2015) use a toner cartridge.
    What do they use to get colors?
    They produce colors the typical way. They have 4 colored toner cartridges. The colors are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and a Black cartridge. There are different physical ways of achieving the final product but it typically involves "printing" with each color individually although you don't really see that happening. By adjusting the amounts of each, the spectrum of all colors can be produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    They produce colors the typical way. They have 4 colored toner cartridges. The colors are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and a Black cartridge. There are different physical ways of achieving the final product but it typically involves "printing" with each color individually although you don't really see that happening. By adjusting the amounts of each, the spectrum of all colors can be produced.
    Which is essentially the same way that inkjets produce colors. The difference is the method of transfer of the individual spots of color. Laser toner is "dry"; inkjet ink is "wet" (until it isn't...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Which is essentially the same way that inkjets produce colors. The difference is the method of transfer of the individual spots of color. Laser toner is "dry"; inkjet ink is "wet" (until it isn't...)
    It's roughly similar to the difference between painting and powder-coating, if that helps.

OK... Thanks Jim and Lee (good analogy, Lee) ...now I sees it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rizwan Khan View Post
    A laser printer might be a better option for you since they typically have toner cartridges that don't dry out like ink does. Laser printers are generally more reliable for occasional printing needs, especially if you don't require color. Plus, they often produce sharper text and images. However, keep in mind that laser printers usually have a higher upfront cost compared to inkjet printers. It's worth considering your printing frequency and budget before making a decision.
    But they have a lower print per page price