Thread: Herding Cats

Herding Cats

These utensils had gotten out of control so I'm designing a solution. I could use a little help.

Kats.jpg

Here's a first version made in a few minutes from cardboard and tape. It has 2 dividers. The compartments are;

3 1/4" x 3 1/4", 3 1/4" x 4" , 3 1/4" x 3 1/4". all are 6" tall.

It needs to be wider and maybe a tad shallower front to back, and with slightly narrower compartments. So the next one will have 5 compartments 3" x 3". Also it will be tilted away from the wall about 20 degrees. In the resulting space in back it could have a shallow bin. It'll get a small holster for kitchen scissors on the right end.

Planning to build from Sapele or Walnut, 3/8" thick with hand cut dovetails.

The croc on the right is there to keep it away from the fire and spatter on the range.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 03-04-2024 at 7:40 AM.

I would build it with solid surface or plastic material so it can be washed periodically. Solid surface material will add some weight so it will pretty much stay put wherever you place it on the counter top.

Blog Entries
    WE have a drawer with dividers to the left of the stove that holds the majority of our cooking utensils. LOML keeps a few plastic ones in a cylinder container to the right side.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's good to see that the chocolate gets a prominent space among the essential tools. Be sure to protect it from the heat of your stove in your final design.

This may be too small for your utensils but here's something I made. It's about 7 1/2 inches high, about 6 3/4 inches across the long dimension, and about 3 3/8 inch across the short dimension. It's a coopering challenge. I don't have any clue what the wood is - somebody gave the wood to me.

Mike

Utensil-Holder-02.jpgUtensil-Holder-01.jpgUtensil-Holder-03.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hah, love the title!

I like where you're going with the design size. Wider so it uses the space across, rather than coming into the worksurface. One recommendation would be to inlay a pocket in the base and epoxy a steel plate inside, then just add rubber feet or whatever you want. I did this on a knife holder that was a similar shape. This low center of gravity weight will prevent tipping if loaded to the gills like you have and will prevent moving when removing or adding a utensil. Plus, we all know that the heavier it is, the more expensive it should be
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 03-04-2024 at 5:17 PM. Reason: pithy comment at the end

Kieth, Solid material is a good suggestion but my experience there is limited. Corian would be excellent.

Lee, We have two drawers full of silverware etc, but 'Herding Cats'

Roger, We're at that age when chocolate is indeed a kitchen staple

Mike, Nice container. Looks a little like walnut. Thanks for the coopering challenge, I may go that way.

Michael, Rubber feet of course, thanks for the reminder. Stability is a concern, especially since it will be tilted. Steel could rust and I haven't melted lead in a few decades. That'll be fun.

Good to see some helpful activity in the Design Forum

I would have different heights, whether more than one container or divisions in the one container. Some of my utensils like whisks and spatulas get swallowed in the large containers. But others like tongs and long spoons need the tall support to keep from falling over.

Good idea Jim, maybe false bottom in a couple bins.

If i had 3 bags of Lindor Dark Truffles, i'd throw away the utensils and just subsist on the truffles!!

We need to do something about our utensils--great to have an alternative thought to our current over-stuffed round thing. Also need to attack storage for Yeti beverage cups. Last 4-5 years i worked those tumblers became common swag--but we probably have 6 normal and 4 big ones consuming an entire corner of the counter--and only use two!! You're motivating me to tackle the counter space!!

We have lots of counter space but much of it has little used stuff camping on it. I'm #2 in the kitchen so try to say nothing.