Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: table saw outfeed table

Blog Entries
    My table is 48” deep. This allows just over half of an 8’ material to rest before I grab it.

I started with an 8’ extension, but that was too long for my shop and I reduced it..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yes to #1
    Yes to #2
    Nah to fancy finish. Wax it - first time, maybe twice if it is absorbed. I am hopeful that you routinely wax the primary saw table, so simply don't stop at the edge of the cast iron, and you'll be fine.
    In fact, I just waxed my saw, jointer and band saw tables on Friday. I still have a bit of my Johnson paste wax.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have both now. Melamine will scratch through while Formica won't.

Cheap idea..go to a thrift store and get an old desk or table with a Formica top, and cut it up for outfeed tables. I had my dad's original router table made from a Formica sink cutout for years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

On my main table saw I used a solid core door(1-3/4"X3'X6'8") covered with plastic laminate. 20 years at least going strong and flat.
    Wipe it with Amour-All occasionally as it doubles as a sorting and glue up table.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I made my folding outfeed table using borg ¾ melamine covered particle board 20 years ago. I am not a heavy user, but it has stood up well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I built laminate over plywood. Has worked great. Always worry about MDF in Florida with humidity, even though workshop is climate controlled.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I would like to share my tablesaws outfeed . It’s a second saw top. I use the throat plate for the router when needed.
    The tablesaw lives at the back of the shop where fans pull sawdust into a never ending pile. My saw might be old but it’s a accurate ripper very quite too.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 03-04-2024 at 4:35 PM.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would like to share my tablesaws outfeed . It’s a second saw. top I use the throat plate for the router when needed.
    The tablesaw lives at the back of the shop where fans pull sawdust into a never end pile. My saw might be old but it’s a accurate ripper very quite too.
    Good Luck

Nice......

See if you can find microdot laminate. Supposed to be lower friction. I haven't used it personally but I've read a few good comments about it. I think HD carries it, or used to.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In fact, I just waxed my saw, jointer and band saw tables on Friday. I still have a bit of my Johnson paste wax.
    First of the month, eh? You're a guiding beacon to us all, Lee.

What are your plans post-JPW?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    See if you can find microdot laminate. Supposed to be lower friction. I haven't used it personally but I've read a few good comments about it. I think HD carries it, or used to.
    I found it, but at another supply and they are asking a fortune for it. It also says it's rated for vertical surfaces and therefor a thinner material.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I built laminate over plywood. Has worked great. Always worry about MDF in Florida with humidity, even though workshop is climate controlled.
    So far i haven't had an issue with MFD, even in hot muggy summer as my basement is always cool and dry.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    First of the month, eh? You're a guiding beacon to us all, Lee.

What are your plans post-JPW?
    I have several dozen more wax jobs from the existing can of JPW and a partial can of Butcher's Wax that I think will do the job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Really, any wax that doesn't contain silicon will work. I've been using trewax for years.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

40 years ago I bought some 30" x 34" cabinet doors made out of 1" plywood. I bought 50 of these blems for something like $2 each with edging already applied. One of them has made a great outfeed table for my cabinet saw. I have never found it to have too much friction. I think adding Formica or other laminate is overkill, it is an outfeed table.