Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Bit Sharpener Recommendations?

Drill Bit Sharpener Recommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations for drill bit sharpeners. For the most part, I've treated drill bits like sandpaper. When they get dull, I throw them out. While I can sharpen them freehand, I don't do it often enough to get consistent results. (The same is true when I sharpen my woodturning tools. I can sharpen them freehand, but I prefer to use a jig.) General Tools makes an inexpensive jig; Tormek makes an expensive one. And, of course, there are several electric sharpeners available at price points from less than $50 to more than $300. Any recommendations?

As a bonus, it would be great to find someway to sharpen brad point bits.
    Last edited by David Walser; 03-04-2024 at 1:59 PM.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I'm probably close to you in treating drill bits but a few years ago I bought a Drill Doctor (not the top model) and while it seemed somewhat complicated reading the instructions it really wasn't too bad at all once you did the first one. I can't say I use it as often as I could or should but it certainly does sharpen the bits. From what I see, it does handle brad points but it might be model specific.

Blog Entries
    BIll,
    I don’t see support anywhere on either the Darex or Drilldoctor web sites. Could you be thinking of split points?

A friend speaks highly of his Drill Doctor unit- I haven't used it.

I sharpen free-hand, which often takes a matter of seconds. In construction, the use of hardened screws has lead to more dull drill bits and more need for sharpening. I've taken to bringing a small bench grinder to jobsites.

Brad point bits can be produced on the corner of the bench grinder wheel.

IMG_4196.jpeg

My father received a drill doctor as a gift 30 years ago. He passed 3 years ago and I got the drill doctor. I have yet to open the box. My thought was I would start dumping dull bits in a box and when there were a bunch in there I would break it out. But over the past 10 years ive broken bits but have yet to dull any at home. At work I have but I just dumped them

I received a Drill Doctor as a Christmas gift many years ago. While I learned how to freehand sharpen as an apprentice, the DD does do a very good job.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just acquired a bunch of stuff including drill bits.
    Sharpened 40 or so in about 15 minutes. the big ones- up to 5/8", were in rough shape, and got a preliminary pass. They will get a more precise sharpening with a gauge before any use.
    Drilling wood is forgiving, but for metal the clearance angle has to be pretty accurate.

IMG_4841.jpg

Another positive review on the Drill Doctor for standard twist drill bits. That is if what David is talking about. This gal sure makes the JoolTool look like the machine for brad points! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwn4CS74KnQ&t=90s
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-04-2024 at 3:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    BIll,
    I don’t see support anywhere on either the Darex or Drilldoctor web sites. Could you be thinking of split points?
    I was looking at what a general Google inquiry brought up. I didn't see anything specific about brad points on the site either/

Another + for the Drill Doctor. While It feels kinda cheap it does a good job. I have the entry level model 350 and as far as I know it just does twist drills, don't know if any of the models do brad point or split point bits.

I have a Drill Doctor, (given to me), and it works well. It does a good job on regular twist bits and split point bits, but doesn't have the capability to do brad-points bits. It uses a diamond wheel and as such can sharpen cobalt bits as well. Relatively simple to operate.

Clint

I also have a drill doctor. I've been able to sharpen drill bits on a grinder since I was a kid (thanks grandpa), but I still end up using the drill doctor for regular twist bits. Because it works, and it's consistent.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I bought a drill doctor 5 years ago. It works well and is worth the $100 I paid for it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a Drill Doctor that I have used for quite a few years. Works well. A year ago or so I bought one of these. No comparison for the few I have sharpened on it so far.

I believe Grizzly has a similar one for a few dollars less.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I have a Drill Doctor that I have used for quite a few years. Works well. A year ago or so I bought one of these. No comparison for the few I have sharpened on it so far.

I believe Grizzly has a similar one for a few dollars less.
    No comparison is kinda vague, do you mean way better or way worse?