Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination Square Parts

Combination Square Parts

I have a Craftsman combination square that no longer clamps in position. The nub that rides in the groove is rounded over and no longer holds. Are repair parts available? Here's a picture of what I need.

IMG_1369.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Wonder if you purchase one from HF if inners would work?

Craftsman doesn't do this kind of thing anymore. If you really want to try to repair your square, I would search ebay for a used Craftsman combination square. That being said, you can get really cheap combination squares from Amazon / Home Depot.

I have one that looks just like that.
    Now I have a steel straight edge and a setup angle block, instead of a combination square

Blog Entries
    It shouldn't be too time consuming to make one from a bolt with the appropriate thread size using a hand grinder or a file.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It shouldn't be too time consuming to make one from a bolt with the appropriate thread size using a hand grinder or a file.
    Never thought of making one. That would give me a nice project.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have one that looks just like that.
    Now I have a steel straight edge and a setup angle block, instead of a combination square
    But I'd rather have the square.

Just buy a new square! I have a craftsman combo square I got years ago when I had a giftcard to Sears. It wasn't very expensive and there are plenty of equal quality squares on the market in the same quality level for under $20. I also have a woodpeckers combination square and the indexable stops and holes for marking your work are really a world of difference, however I am sure you know it will not be cheap.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Wonder if Starrett would fit? Probably cheaper to buy a decent quality square then new Starrett parts.
    Bill D

Taylor Tools works sells a replacement for PEC squares. May be similar enough, and potentially worth a try for $10 plus shipping.

https://taytools.com/products/replac...y-pec-12-18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Taylor Tools works sells a replacement for PEC squares. May be similar enough, and potentially worth a try for $10 plus shipping.

https://taytools.com/products/replac...y-pec-12-18-24
    Thanks for the link, might jave to give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Craftsman doesn't do this kind of thing anymore. If you really want to try to repair your square, I would search ebay for a used Craftsman combination square. That being said, you can get really cheap combination squares from Amazon / Home Depot.
    I think the Empire combination squares at Home Depot are made in the U.S. if that matters. Are Empire squares equal in quality to the better Starrett? Most probably not but I can't measure the difference in accuracy. Readability? Starrett is probably better but again, I can read the Empire just fine. PEC is another quality brand and may be available as seconds from Harry Epstein but I have no experience with them.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-07-2024 at 9:07 AM.

This is what I would do, unless the Craftsman has special meaning to you. New combination squares are pretty cheap and are going to most likely be more accurate than old ones. A lot of older tools are better made than newer ones. But squares aren't one of them. Modern machines do a better job with accuracy like this than old machines or human hands.

I have the Empire square, and the only real downside I've noticed with it in the last 5 years of owning it is the numbers are printed on, not etched. But they haven't worn off yet, so that hasn't become a problem. I don't know how accurate it is, but if I score a line, flip the square over and score another line, they run parallel. So it's probably within 0.1° of each other or better. More than accurate enough for any wood work.

I’m sorry but I don’t know where to get replacement parts for that. As someone already said, it wouldn’t be hard to make one.

An aside. I think whether it’s better to repair vs replace has a lot of factors, some of which were already mentioned. But personally, I get some pleasure out of repairing a small item and then using it regularly in my (hobby) shop. Can’t tell you why. It’s not woodworking, but it’s enjoyable. (But I also like making tools and making things that organize my shop. For me, it’s not all about making furniture- for me. Maybe I’m odd that way.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

One of the main issue with making this piece, is that it needs to be hardened. There is a lot of stress put on the small tang that holds the rule.
    Also the threads need to be the correct length, too long and they will dig into the body, too short and you cant tighten the clamping enough.
    Things to consider for those who like to tinker with such things.