I never signed one. Probably kept me from going higher in organizations, but I've never sold myself out. I only had experience in one career field and refused to exclude myself from employment going forward if it didn't work out, as some jobs don't. These didn't exist for mid level or lower level folks until 1990's? Lawyer friend of mine told me years ago if I am concerned about language in a document sign it, but under my signature write in "With reservation of rights."

Last company I worked for was sold and the new owner sent paperwork to the customer service people to sign that included a non compete clause and controlled what people could say if they left the company. They tried to trick them into signing it saying it was their employment letter confirming details of salary, vacation, sick leave etc...

Now I read fast food workers are being pressured to sign these, even read a doctor working for a hospital in a special pediatrics field had to sign one. They cut staff and quadrupled his work load and he left to go to a competing hospital and they sued him.

Non competes are fine for intellectual property, but they are now a weapon employers use to keep people's salaries and benefits lower.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Brian