Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non compete agreements

While being paid for a year makes that non compete not as painful financially, it does mean that his career is not advancing in the next year, which could have long term consequences for compensation (not getting a raise/promotion this year is lost income for future years).

But a lot of people would jump at the opportunity for a 1 year paid sabbatical, even if it puts one career on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedel View Post
    But a lot of people would jump at the opportunity for a 1 year paid sabbatical, even if it puts one career on hold.
    On this level the interview process for new employment is measured in months. You go up through the levels of the company if the previous level approved you. A different world from what most of us are accustomed to.

As described earlier, selling a business would be an important place for a non-compete but it seems for lower level workers it's abusive.

Blog Entries
    My Scoutmaster got run out of town with a 20 year no compete for check kiting. 20 years later he was back in town and up to the same behavior.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdmo/pr...lth-care-fraud
    Best Regards, Maurice

When teachers or school administrators retire they can not be rehired, by their original district, full time unless they get a special dispensation from the state due to a shortage of their speciality. They can go back and work part time or as a substitute. Once they make more then 20,000 as a sub they lose retirement money equal to the amount over.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    When teachers or school administrators retire they can not be rehired, by their original district, full time unless they get a special dispensation from the state due to a shortage of their speciality. They can go back and work part time or as a substitute. Once they make more then 20,000 as a sub they lose retirement money equal to the amount over.
    Bill D
    "Location, location, location", Bill...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    This is a similar situation with many beneficiaries of CalPERS (California Public Employee Retirement System). A similar rule applies to me. My last employer was a public transit agency. My situation is different from a lot of other CalPERS retirees. Many people like teachers, law enforcement, fire fighters and others work their whole career in a public agency. Mine was about half public, half private sector. My contributions to my retirement funding during my public agency career were enough to disqualify me from receiving any Social Security benefits. It is fine with me that other retirees are benefiting from my contribution.

During my private sector work one business I serviced was a maker of industrial hot melt glue equipment near Monterey, CA. These units had large sprayers that were fed from 55 gallon drums. The units held two drums to allow replacing the drums without having to stop. My contact person there told me one of their applications was for gluing in the floor mats on automotive assembly lines. One of their employees left and took some workers with him to compete. The two big makers in the business were within a mile of each other.

This was likely before they thought of noncompete clauses in hiring paperwork.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)