Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats in that take out food

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    ...Maybe it should be called Fat Food instead of Fast.
    No, it should be called Fast Fat Food. Or Fat Fast Food.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    My takeaway was that he is mostly commenting on modern additives that would have never been in anyone's food in prior years. And I'm sure he is right that many are not healthy. But I agree with you that his presentation is over the top as is everyone's these days.

We live in the age of hyperbole.
    For me at least as the level of hyperbole goes up the degree of credibility goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    For me at least as the level of hyperbole goes up the degree of credibility goes down.
    Absolutely.

There's nothing new here. Those additives have been used for many years and there's no reason to believe they aren't in your restaurant slow food or the food you bring from the store. Google dextrose in salt for the reason it's used. The statement that aluminum is "associated" with brain issues is a way of saying "it's been said" without any basis. The studies that seemed to indicate that were discredited many years ago.

Too much sugar and fat? Absolutely. But it's not a conspiracy - it's what people will always choose.
    < insert spurious quote here >

"Large amounts of sugar, salt, fat and starch are not healthy!"

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Had to check my salts...
    TJ's Sea Salt...99% Salt, aka Sodium Chloride (NaCl)
    Morton's Table salt ... Salt, Calcium Silicate, dextrose ( + potassium iodide if you get the "iodized version") .

TJ's is my "food salt"
    Years ago I stopped using Morton's (or the equivalent generic/house brands) on/in food. I use it only for cleaning.

Morton's Salt labels... interesting
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-i...in-Morton-salt
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-12-2024 at 5:12 AM.

I had a professor once who walked into a class and saw a CocaCola can on someone's desk. He made some idle comment about how "they" put something in it to make it addictive, presumably having heard about it containing cocaine many decades earlier. (Brief aside: true, or urban legend?)

I made some remark to the effect that, yeah, it was probably the same stuff they put into McD's burgers. The blood drained out of his face as he looked down at his open briefcase and tentatively pulled out a Big Mac like he was defusing a bomb.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I had a professor once who walked into a class and saw a CocaCola can on someone's desk. He made some idle comment about how "they" put something in it to make it addictive, presumably having heard about it containing cocaine many decades earlier. (Brief aside: true, or urban legend?)

I made some remark to the effect that, yeah, it was probably the same stuff they put into McD's burgers. The blood drained out of his face as he looked down at his open briefcase and tentatively pulled out a Big Mac like he was defusing a bomb.
    Per Wikipedia... the original formula used coca leaves and Kola nuts (for caffeine) Hence Coca-cola.

doctor stuff past had cannabis and more in it. I watched a you tube on a guy that put cannibis oil on nasal cancer who did not want to use chemo cream. At the end showed bottles from the past and what was in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Had to check my salts...
    TJ's Sea Salt...99% Salt, aka Sodium Chloride (NaCl)
    Morton's Table salt ... Salt, Calcium Silicate, dextrose ( + potassium iodide if you get the "iodized version") .

TJ's is my "food salt"
    Years ago I stopped using Morton's (or the equivalent generic/house brands) on/in food. I use it only for cleaning.

Morton's Salt labels... interesting
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-i...in-Morton-salt
    I pretty much only use Kosher salt and I do use the Morton version because I prefer the flake and am used to it relative to how it performs. Diamond and others have a different crystal/flake and one needs to use different quantities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not to defend fast food, but partially your situation?

I suspect some of that sudden weight gain may have been contributed to by four hours in the car daily, most of the rest of your waking hours sitting with your mother, and the remainder of the time sleeping.

I am assuming your daily routine is quite different.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I haven't commented previously on the primary topic here. I occasionally have "fast food" when it's time for a lunch and it's convenient because I'm out and about; maybe once a week. But it's not frequently like with some folks...my older daughter would eat it every day if she had the choice. I'm selective in what I eat, too. I only get the Deluxe McCrispy Chicken Sandwich from The Clown...I will NEVER eat their "burgers". If I need/want an affordable fast food burger, it's The King. (I really like Five Guys, but they have priced themselves out of my wallet other than very, very occasionally) A quick burrito from Taco Bell is also fine, but there are none nearby. While their food is tasty, I do not do Chik-Fil-A for personal reasons. The big issue with Fast Food comes with it being the primary food source because too much of "that stuff" brings bigger risk to health. So occasionally it's kewel when it's a means to an end, but that's about it for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Moderation. Once every few months fast food is OK but you cant have it twice a day. Unless its chick fil a

We usually do two driving vacations oer year, both one day's drive each way. Those four days usually involve a Carls Jr lunch: burger for me, fish sandwich or salad for the wife.

Otherwise, maybe once per year for anything I normally think of as "fast food". (Unless you count Subway/Togos/etc...I don't, at least for the kind of sandwiches I buy there once a month or so.) Mind you, I have home-grilled burgers or hot dogs a couple times per year, typically summer holidays.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

When I was a kid, my family would stop for fast food when were on road trips. My dad wouldn't even let us get out the car to use the bathroom! And he always got us kids something we hated; like chili burgers from Taco Bell. Barf!

When my kids were young, we used to stop for fast food on road trips. I was sure to let them use the bathroom and order what they wanted. Eventually, I got tired of that stuff and decided to just take the time to find a basic, sit down restaurant. Even stopping at an IHOP was just WAY better than the proverbial Smack Happy's. I still do this. When I drive to visit Oklahoma, there's an Appleby's in Hayes Kansas right off the Interstate. I stop there for lunch because it's apparently the only sit down restaurant along I-70 for hundreds of miles. There's also a steakhouse in Hayes, but that would make me want to fall asleep on the road.