Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft

Price and Selection of Goods:I have a Woodcraft roughly 20 miles from my house. I rarely shop there, except for the odd piece of hardware, can of finish or bottle of glue. I have found that they are almost never price competitive on virtually anything I am looking to buy. In addition, they carry none of the boutique brands that I am likely to buy: e.g., Lie Nielsen, Bad Axe, Blue Spruce, or any of the smaller makers of high quality tooling. They have their own line of hand tools, made in china: I'm not a buyer. They have a sizable inventory of goods (which must cost them fortune): it just seems like they never have what I am interested in buying.

The woodcraft on the southeast side of Cleveland seems to be bucking the trend; they have expanded a little, added a lot more hardwood, and expanded their tool and supply selection. They have a nice shop area where they run a variety of classes and demos. Hartville Hardware and Keim lumber have much better selection of power tools and contractor tools, but they are a lot farther away from me. We used to have a full Rockler but it's long gone. Cleveland Tool and Cutter has a "mini" Rockler as part of their store, but selection is very limited and as far as I can tell, there is no way to find out online what they have in stock.

I make it a personal choice to buy from the local Woodcraft (and Keim and Hartville) if they have what I want, even if costs a few bucks more and takes a car trip. I want them to remain viable and open, not just for the local source, but Woodcraft in particular supports the woodworking community through sponsoring TV shows, podcasts, magazines, and local shows and demos. Woodcraft also frequently introduces innovative products. They are not always winners, but many of them are clever and well designed. I don't want to be one of those folks that goes into BestBuy, fondles all the goods, and then buys online to save a few bucks.

I realize I am lucky to be in a position to be able to do that and that not everyone is so blessed; all the more reason I see it as my responsibility to support the locals when I can.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 03-10-2024 at 11:24 AM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The Columbus store also seems to be doing pretty good. Lots of classes they run, the owner is very nice and I enjoy chatting with them. I also shop there when I can to make sure my dollars are supporting a local person running a local store, even if they have to pay a portion of that back to corporate. It's great when I have a question to be able to ask someone who is knowledgeable about the answer they're giving instead of a big box store where they don't have an answer and seem to hide from you.

Does anyone know which store in MA? There's a few in the Boston area.

I lost the Woodcraft store in Ventura (Calif.) which was only a 30-40 minute drive for me, really sorry to see it go. It had gone downhill for several years and then a new owner picked it up and re-supplied the inventory but that only lasted a year or so before closing. Funny thing is, I was there on a Friday buying some stuff, told them I would be back the next week for something else and on next day Saturday I got a email they are closed, they didnt say that on Friday or I would have picked up the CNC I wanted. So, I started driving 2+ hours to a Rockler store in L.A. did that only 2 times and I just got the notice is closing now. The Woodcraft I was there once a month and hardly ever walked out empty handed, it was only a half hour drive, the Rockler might be once a year drive. I walked into that Rockler to pick up a $50 flush cut saw I wanted and walked out $1250 poorer with a 12" planer, all because I saw it and fondled it. I buy almost nothing without first seeing it in person. I understand stores are expensive to run but I can't wonder if they are loosing business by not having them, I can't be the only person who likes fondling something before buying it. Also, I walk into a store and see a ton of things I don't need but all of a sudden want. Luckily, i have a pretty well stocked shop tool wise, so I don't need to buy much anymore.

In my area Woodcraft is about an hour away, and Rockler is fairly close. The sad thing is that the Rockler store, got an edict from corporate to let go the old guys that worked there part time, and all employees will be full time. Now, when I go there most of the employees do not have much (or no) experience working wood, or using the tools. They are just there to show you where the tools are and ring them up.

This makes me more likely to stop by and check out new stuff, but buy on line when I need something. They still do a few demo's occasionally, but done for simpletons, by someone who is not really familiar with the tool.

Sad, but true
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I was really excited when Rockler opened in NJ. I figured I would get down there more often than my treks out to any of the 3 woodcraft stores. The 3 woodcraft stores are each 83, 83 and 85 miles from my house so if I was making the journey, i'd usually go to to the one in Delaware because there's no sales tax.

However Rockler opened and it's 45 miles and about 9 bucks in tolls if I take the quickest and most direct route. I went opening day to check it out and left with my first Festool after talking with the Festool rep and seeing some tools in action. I went back a 2nd time when they were not so busy so I can not feel like I was in a cattle drive! Well I keep thinking I'll go take a ride down just to enjoy walking around a woodworking store regardless if I needed to buy something or not. So far, I have not done it. While I would love to support the box stores, it is more efficient in time and cost to just order what I need. If it was 10 minutes away, i'd be broke!!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

The one by me seems to be doing pretty well. And they just opened a Rockler down the road from it that also seems to be doing fairly well.

I think like most businesses, it's all about location. Around here, rent is going to be dirt cheap. And labor costs are going to be a fraction of what most other places are. Plus the general population is on the younger side, so while there aren't a lot of people with disposable income, there are at least a lot of people who are building up their tool collection, instead of selling them off. And there's not much competition outside of those two places.

I'm thinking in Florida, you've got much higher wages and real estate costs, higher insurance, and an aging population. I know Jacksonville is younger than the rest of Florida, with a strong military presence. But I'd imagine that with all of that time out on deployment, they probably don't dive too deeply into woodworking until they're retired. Add to that that it's hard to set up a shop in rental property. At least that what I've seen from all of the military members in my family. And, on top of all of that, with just a general higher cost of living, there's going to be less money to spend on hobbies. That, and it's Florida! How many young people would want an indoor hobby there?

My closest Woodcraft is the same one as Ken's - Spokane Valley, WA. It's about 90 miles north of me. We go to the Spokane area about once a month, and I always try to stop there when we do. It helps that there is a Fred Meyer right next door, since my wife loves to shop there. I either park at Fred Meyer or drop my wife off and go to Woodcraft, then catch up with her inside. She is usually shopping for things she doesn't need while getting her ring cleaned (we bought her wedding ring at Fred Meyer in Twin Falls, so she gets free cleanings).

The nearest Rockler is about 300 miles away in the Seattle area. The last one I visited, in South Seattle, was a good store with friendly people. I have to admit, though, I was more impressed with the Grizzly store in Bellingham. Huge selection, great sale area and lots and lots of big machines on display. My wife got scared imagining how much money I could spend there, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I was really excited when Rockler opened in NJ. I figured I would get down there more often than my treks out to any of the 3 woodcraft stores. The 3 woodcraft stores are each 83, 83 and 85 miles from my house so if I was making the journey, i'd usually go to to the one in Delaware because there's no sales tax.

However Rockler opened and it's 45 miles and about 9 bucks in tolls if I take the quickest and most direct route. I went opening day to check it out and left with my first Festool after talking with the Festool rep and seeing some tools in action. I went back a 2nd time when they were not so busy so I can not feel like I was in a cattle drive! Well I keep thinking I'll go take a ride down just to enjoy walking around a woodworking store regardless if I needed to buy something or not. So far, I have not done it. While I would love to support the box stores, it is more efficient in time and cost to just order what I need. If it was 10 minutes away, i'd be broke!!
    Ive been 4 times to this one. 1st/2nd time I spent 450 or so and left the largest item on the counter. I had to drive back to pick it up. 3rd trip was returned on the 4th trip and another 100 spent.

Maybe it's a sign of shrinking interest in the hobby market. The "makers" bubble of a few years ago seems to have disappeared around here. Old guys like me have all the major and minor tools we need, and the expendable supplies are just a click away. I feel bad, and might do more drop in browsing if the WC and Rocker were closer.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I tried to buy a piece of equipment at a local store this year. I paid for it, they ordered it. Gave me a two week delivery time. Ok, I can get it in 2 days ordering it online, but sure.. we'll try that. After 3 weeks, they said "maybe another two weeks". I ended up canceling the order, and ordering it online.

That's become a huge chunk of why I don't buy woodworking stuff (except sundries) locally. Unless the item I want is in stock (and really, at this point they rarely are), I've got to go through this song and dance anyway.

Woodcrafts insistence on only selling their own branded hand tools, also doesn't help me..
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Ive been 4 times to this one. 1st/2nd time I spent 450 or so and left the largest item on the counter. I had to drive back to pick it up. 3rd trip was returned on the 4th trip and another 100 spent.
    well hopefully others are spending more there than you and I did so it stays open.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    well hopefully others are spending more there than you and I did so it stays open.
    I've only been once as I noted earlier, not long after they opened but still part of the "Grand Opening" festivities. It's a nice store and stocked well. The people are friendly. But that 40 mile drive "over the river and through the woods" is arduous for me just because of how highways run, especially, trying to avoid tolls as much as possible and a lot of "not fun" traffic even mid-day. Back when I got involved in this "sport", I had several woodworking stores within 10-20 minutes, depending on which one plus the old Woodworker's Warehouse down near Wilmington DE if I felt like a long ride. There was actually a very nice Woodcraft in Bensalem PA about 3 miles from my home at the time. The independent place I bought most of my initial equipment was not far away in Southampton PA. (Eagle America/Huntingdon Valley Tools - formerly MCLS - is now in Southampton but I've never gone there) The bottom line is that the world has changed and like you, Justin, it's just too convenient and cost effective to order something I need from "wherever" rather than physically travel to Moorestown NJ or Allentown PA or down to Delaware. I really do feel bad for the franchise owners and store managers, but I'm "here" they are "way over there".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've only been once as I noted earlier, not long after they opened but still part of the "Grand Opening" festivities. It's a nice store and stocked well. The people are friendly. But that 40 mile drive "over the river and through the woods" is arduous for me just because of how highways run, especially, trying to avoid tolls as much as possible and a lot of "not fun" traffic even mid-day. Back when I got involved in this "sport", I had several woodworking stores within 10-20 minutes, depending on which one plus the old Woodworker's Warehouse down near Wilmington DE if I felt like a long ride. There was actually a very nice Woodcraft in Bensalem PA about 3 miles from my home at the time. The independent place I bought most of my initial equipment was not far away in Southampton PA. (Eagle America/Huntingdon Valley Tools - formerly MCLS - is now in Southampton but I've never gone there) The bottom line is that the world has changed and like you, Justin, it's just too convenient and cost effective to order something I need from "wherever" rather than physically travel to Moorestown NJ or Allentown PA or down to Delaware. I really do feel bad for the franchise owners and store managers, but I'm "here" they are "way over there".
    When I first got into wood working, I did order some bits from MLCS, and when I found out there was a store, I wanted to go check it out. But from some pictures it looked on the small side and mostly bits, glue, sandpaper and some Rikon tools, along with their router tables. I didn't know the store was rebranded or bought out, however I just checked out the online store and it's the same. Somewhat a shame they don't expand at least their online inventory if they have warehouse space. It's yet another store about 45 miles away from me, but if I am going to take a 45 mile each way ride, i'll hit up Rockler as there is more selection. I'd also feel a bit awkward going to a small store to check it out without making a purchase, and for the most part, unless i am looking for a one or few time use profile, I know MLCS router bits are not top on my top of my list. So I'd end up buying something like glue or sandpaper.

It is just the nature of the internet now. When I first got into wood working, it was a trip to woodcraft in Delaware, mail order from Rockler, Woodcraft, Peachtree or the like and wait for the once a year woodworking show that actually was worth going to. Besides not really needing so many actual tools anymore, my purchases from woodworking stores have really declined, with the exception of Woodpecker tools (i am semi addicted there). Consumables that I tend to buy like sandpaper, glue, etc are too easy to grab on Amazon and its in my hands in 2 day or less, or I check with WoodWerks in Ohio first to give the mom/pop store the business. Last time I ordered from Rockler, it took 9 business days for my package to arrive. Besides consumbable, the items I tend to buy now are hinges and drawer slides which I usually order from WoodWorker Express. Usually the items ships same or next day from Edison NJ and is delivered the next day.

Progress of the Internet, saving costs by not driving very far and free shipping is killing all the box stores, not just the woodworking stores.