Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woodcraft

I may take a ride to that new "MCLS" location at some point...it's not much farther than the Costco location I most often visit...and will let you know what I see. They appear to be more than just "bits and bobs" but who knows? Ironically, that new location in Southampton is literally around the corner from where the independent store was that I bought all my Jet equipment at back in 1997 through 2000. (I only have the DP left from all those power tools) I had an office for a couple years literally a block from the original location, but wasn't a woodworker at that point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I may take a ride to that new "MCLS" location at some point...it's not much farther than the Costco location I most often visit...and will let you know what I see. They appear to be more than just "bits and bobs" but who knows? Ironically, that new location in Southampton is literally around the corner from where the independent store was that I bought all my Jet equipment at back in 1997 through 2000. (I only have the DP left from all those power tools) I had an office for a couple years literally a block from the original location, but wasn't a woodworker at that point.
    Well given your closer, I look forward what you think of the store. Given the weather is turning around also into Spring, it's might prompt me to go for a ride anyway. It is somewhat ironic that i'll avoid driving an hour each way to go to a store, but i've driven 5 hours each way to go check out a car museum!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Well given your closer, I look forward what you think of the store. Given the weather is turning around also into Spring, it's might prompt me to go for a ride anyway. It is somewhat ironic that i'll avoid driving an hour each way to go to a store, but i've driven 5 hours each way to go check out a car museum!
    Always keep your priorities straight
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rambour View Post
    Luckily, i have a pretty well stocked shop tool wise, so I don't need to buy much anymore.
    This is my situation. I don’t need any more planes, chisels, or machines. It’s all consumables now, or project-driven needs. I just spent $4 - $500 on Blum hinges, drawer slides, tongue and groove bit, and a coping jig I needed, plus a silicone glue set and a nifty countersink bit I didn’t need. Rockler store after getting sound advice from Rockler national customer service phone line. It felt like the good old days, only on the phone. But the floor staff was knowledgeable and friendly, too.

Last time I bought a stationary tool, it was a 10” Rikon band saw at the moment when Rikon was updating it with a feature I didn’t value. They were deeply discounting the outgoing model, and although the floor model in the Woodcraft store 40 miles from me was broken from over-handling, they honored the discount. I waited until the new one came in and made the drive to pick it up. The upshot is, that store didn’t make much on my sale, although I bought an extra blade and some wood because I was there.