Thread: Having Shop Built Update

Having Shop Built Update

Folks, the shop build is finally underway. Photos were requested, so they follow. At this point the old rickety shed is torn down to make way for the shop, as it overlapped the shop footprint a little and given its condition, we improved it a lot by tearing it down. It has been a long battle to finally get to this point, as I started trying to find a contractor about a year ago or so. As I mentioned in the initial post, I finally gave up on contractors after trying to work with 4 of them, none of which worked out. As mentioned before, I am now my own contractor, and know quite a bit about the basics of construction having done some of all of it years ago.

That said, it has been over 45 years since I worked in the building trades and there is a lot I don't know. Methods have changed some but the basics are still the same. However, given there is a lot I don't know, I do have friends who are experts in the field, and a mechanical engineer/building inspector daughter who knows a lot about building codes and construction, so I can ask them questions. She is also pretty good at some of the trades herself. (She has a masters degree in mechanical engineering and is working at getting the PE certificate.)

At any rate, seeing actual progress being made has made my wife and me pretty happy at this point.

This is the Thanksgiving day photo of our kid's families and me tearing down the old shed. My mechanical engineer daughter has been running a hammer and nail puller, but at this point is directing our efforts to tear down the shed. My two PhD engineer son in laws and me, the retired applied research chemist ex-carpenter, are running hammers and nail pullers. I am the one on the ladder showing my best side for the purpose of photos. The shingles and decking are gone at this point, and you can kind of see the scaffolding that I had built previously for pulling off shingles and decking. My two young teen age grandsons are not in the photo, but they were also helping.

thumbnail (2).jpg

Old rickety shed is gone. The initial dirt work is done at this point, needed because our yard is on a slope. The shop footing excavation lines are shown here.
    thumbnail 1.jpg

This is a trench for the footing/stem wall before the rebar has been put in place, the dirt work excavator for the footing is just finishing the excavation.

IMG_20240223_124941.jpg

Pouring the concrete in the trench is about complete at this point. If you look closely you can see a little of the rebar in place. The guys are pretty grateful, I am pretty sure, that I am being very helpful here by mostly staying out of the way.

IMG_20240227_135612.jpg

The concrete pour of the footing/stem wall is done here, and this photo shows that result.

IMG_20240227_144153.jpg

Initial plumbing steps and forms for the slab are now in place. Electrical conduit for receptacles in the floor needs to be in place, and more dirt work will have to be done as the dirt in the center of the build is only 3 inches or so below the tops of the forms. It needs to be deep enough for 4 inches of concrete and 4 inches of sand. We may put in a layer of black poly as a moisture block on top of the sand even if we wet the sand down before putting in the rebar and pouring the slab.

IMG_20240308_173830.jpg

Well that's where we are right now. It will need to dry off some, as we got about an inch of rain today. Thanks go to the plumbers for wanting to work in the rain. I was very surprised that they showed up today because of the rain, as they had planned to, but to work in the rain was their choice not mine. Thanks go to Ben for showing me how to add the photos.

More to come as things proceed. As Steven adds in his projects, "stay tuned."

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-09-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Looks like a nice footprint. How big is the shop going to be?

The shop building will be 24 by 48, but there will be a 7 by 24 storage room in the back for storing such items as my wife's Christmas decorations, etc. The actual shop inside dimensions will be about 23 by 40, very roughly, which will be for my woodworking and other shop activities.

Definitely put in a moisture barrier. It's cheap and will help control the humidity in the shop.

Loving the updates! When I retire and move, my goal is to build a dedicated shop as well. Congrats and good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thats exciting! It looks like you found a good crew.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Looking good Stew.

Thanks go to the plumbers for wanting to work in the rain. I was very surprised that they showed up today because of the rain, as they had planned to, but to work in the rain was their choice not mine.
    Quality professionals work in the rain. They know two things, there is always someone else who will and if they stay home they don't get paid.

Besides, the sooner they finish your job, the sooner they can move on to the next job. They don't want to let work get away because they got backed up by staying home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is the original thread on the Hybrid shop.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....others-are-too

Regards,

Stew

One of the old guys used to say, "You won't melt- you're not made of sugar."

Congratulations on getting the project going. Once you get out of the ground and start framing things will go fast, then slow right down when the shell is complete.