Thread: Kohler generator service work

Kohler generator service work

Kept getting error messages that scheduled test could not run. Last week reset the error code so it would run the normal test on Friday 11 am. yesterday same error message. Everything on the digital display looked correct. Call my service folks. They will call me back Monday or Tuesday to schedule? They want $180 trip charge and $120/hr to come out. OMG. $300 bucks to show up. I pay these folks to come out every fall to change the oil and give it a check up, since it was still under warranty wanted someone to do it, just in case.

So this morning I got out there in the cold mist, 67, My body hates cold wet weather now...

Spark plug was good, oil level good, air filter clean. Pulled the side off where the battery is and in the fall the service guy checked the battery fluid levels and forgot to put one of the covers back on. No fluid in that side. $225 later for a battery and it works fine. Couldn't start to run the test. I pulled the cables before I took the picture.

20240309_084046.jpg

I asked for reimbursement for the replacement battery, we'll see....

Brian
    Brian

I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in the response you get. Good luck!

Well done, Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    ... They want $180 trip charge and $120/hr to come out. OMG. $300 bucks to show up. I pay these folks to come out every fall to change the oil and give it a check up, since it was still under warranty wanted someone to do it, just in case.
    They still wanted $300 for the service call even after you found the issue was of their doing?? Wow. Is that a Kohler service or a 3rd party? Asking as I'm starting to think seriously about a whole house generator. Your experience might inform my decision between Kohler and Generac.

Thanks.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I had the impression he called them before he found the battery problem?
    I have toyed with the idea of a whole house generator (I presently have a 6.5kw "portable") but my power is very reliable. Regardless of make, the routine maintenance costs were something I hadn't factored into the annual cost of just having it.

I don't have a whole house unit but the one I used for my construction business. 8000 watt unit that I will hook up to the shop and feed the house with it. Only had to use it 6 times in 30 years. and one was the big power outage that hit in 2003

Brian
    Buckeye Power Sales seems to be a good company to deal with, based on commercial generator install and service.
    Ron

Hope this get resolved in your favor sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I had the impression he called them before he found the battery problem?
    I have toyed with the idea of a whole house generator (I presently have a 6.5kw "portable") but my power is very reliable. Regardless of make, the routine maintenance costs were something I hadn't factored into the annual cost of just having it.
    It was raining when this started. I called them first and scheduled a service call, next day was dry so I can through what I could do and saw the battery issue. We're glad to have the generator, being old when power does go out we don't have to worry about sump pump or being cold or hot. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Brian
    Buckeye Power Sales seems to be a good company to deal with, based on commercial generator install and service.
    Ron
    I do plan to shop for service folks now I am out of warranty to find some one with more reasonable rates, and I will do my own annual service until I am unable. Brian
    Brian

I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in the response you get. Good luck!
    Bill:

They did the right thing and will cover my battery cost. Refreshing. Brian
    Brian

I am glad to hear that!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great news and can't be a real bad company, there are lots that would have given you a big runaround on the matter.

Great news and can't be a real bad company, there are lots that would have given you a big runaround on the matter.
    Absolutely. Brian
    Brian