Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: YouTube, Free education, and worth every penny.

I love those ancient Grand Mummies. They scared away the thieves.

Yep totally agree. It’s called “lowering the cost of sale” and unfortunately, companies don’t price in the value of quality customer service, knowledgeable sales people, and other hard-to-quantify aspects.

I think that today's AI could write a Hallmark movie plot just like all the rest of them. Single Mom or Dad from the big city goes back to the country and mets boy/girl form the slower country life and realizes big city life is not that great. They fall in love and kiss with one minute left to go. Finis.
    BillD

I'm on a Tolkien Forum ... discussions range all over the world of Tolkien, including the various dramatizations done over the last 70 years , both TV and the earlier radio presentations.
    Those dramatizations can be very polarizing.

So a new member chimes in about the Amazon Rings of Power series (RoP)...(And RoP is incredibly polarizing... most people either love it or hate ... I'm in the "hate it" camp FWIW)
    And he has a fairly long post about the pros and cons of RoP.
    I read it and re-read it, and finally decide: He's not really saying anything, he's just sitting on the fence.
    And more than that the whole thing sounded artificial.

So I PM a mod and ask him if they've vetted the new member because he sounds like AI.
    Turns out the person is real (flesh and blood) but he admitted (only when asked point blank) that his contribution to the discussion was AI generated.
    He gave the AI the parameters of the discussion and after getting an answer, re-arranged some words or sentences, then posted it. He said he thought it was OK to do that.
    The mods informed him that he needs to note at the outset of a post if it is AI generated, but then gently suggested to him that it would be much better to post something entirely of his own thinking.

My own experience (and this was just another instance of it) is that an AI "composition" is still pretty easy to spot.
    I wonder how long before it gets better at "creative writing"...
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-13-2024 at 4:27 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I'm on a Tolkien Forum ... discussions range all over the world of Tolkien, including the various dramatizations done over the last 70 years , both TV and the earlier radio presentations.
    Those dramatizations can be very polarizing.

So a new member chimes in about the Amazon Rings of Power series (RoP)...(And RoP is incredibly polarizing... most people either love it or hate ... I'm in the "hate it" camp FWIW)
    And he has a fairly long post about the pros and cons of RoP.
    I read it and re-read it, and finally decide: He's not really saying anything, he's just sitting on the fence.
    And more than that the whole thing sounded artificial.

So I PM a mod and ask him if they've vetted the new member because he sounds like AI.
    Turns out the person is real (flesh and blood) but he admitted (only when asked point blank) that his contribution to the discussion was AI generated.
    He gave the AI the parameters of the discussion and after getting an answer, re-arranged some words or sentences, then posted it. He said he thought it was OK to do that.
    The mods informed him that he needs to note at the outset of a post if it is AI generated, but then gently suggested to him that it would be much better to post something entirely of his own thinking.

My own experience (and this was just another instance of it) is that an AI "composition" is still pretty easy to spot.
    I wonder how long before it gets better at "creative writing"...
    Some of it is pretty bad... but I think spotting AI generated content is like spotting bad plastic surgery. You never notice the well done stuff. In fact, you've probably already read a bunch of AI generated product descriptions on various websites.

ChatGPT is a generalist - the really interesting generative AI models are created for much more specific tasks and perform much better. Think of a chat bot that is only trained to answer questions about XYZ company's product portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Some of it is pretty bad... but I think spotting AI generated content is like spotting bad plastic surgery. You never notice the well done stuff. In fact, you've probably already read a bunch of AI generated product descriptions on various websites.

ChatGPT is a generalist - the really interesting generative AI models are created for much more specific tasks and perform much better. Think of a chat bot that is only trained to answer questions about XYZ company's product portfolio.
    Yep... Specific AI generated company info = Boilerplate
    Probably difficult to spot
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

YouTube, Free education, and worth every penny.

I've shared my favorite bumper sticker philosophy before: Information ≠ Knowledge ≠ Wisdom
    < insert spurious quote here >

I've never watched a woodworking youtube video, or rather been able to watch one. I started on a couple, but I have no interest in watching someone stand there and talk, which seems like the way all the ones I started watching began. I could watch someone really good at working and cranking stuff out, but don't know how to find one of those versus the "experts". I would only be interested in watching someone who makes a living by producing work.

The one good use I get from how-to videos is for a mechanic job. I'll find one that I can stand to listen to about exactly the job I'm getting ready to do, make a list of all the tools used, and have what I need laid out at the start of a job. That particular use really does save a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've never watched a woodworking youtube video, or rather been able to watch one. I started on a couple, but I have no interest in watching someone stand there and talk, which seems like the way all the ones I started watching began. I could watch someone really good at working and cranking stuff out, but don't know how to find one of those versus the "experts". I would only be interested in watching someone who makes a living by producing work.

The one good use I get from how-to videos is for a mechanic job. I'll find one that I can stand to listen to about exactly the job I'm getting ready to do, make a list of all the tools used, and have what I need laid out at the start of a job. That particular use really does save a lot of time.
    Just a few days ago David Marks uploaded an episode of "Woodworks" on YouTube. Have you seen that show? It aired on DIY network and I think it's among the best woodworking TV shows. David posted a "short" where he said he will post more episodes of the show.

I admit David a is woodworking hero to me. I met him years ago and took him out to lunch. Super cool guy. He told me how hard he had worked on that TV show. DIY aired repeat episodes for years, but David received no proceeds whatsoever. He was really bummed about this and said he felt kinda foolish for allowing it to happen. I told him he was in good company considering "Gilligan's Island" the "The Brady Bunch" were in syndication for decades and none of the actors in those shows ever received a dime. He pondered this for a minute and said somehow that made him feel better.

So, I hope David can finally make some money from posting those Woodworks videos on YouTube. Check it out!

grampa munster said he was a very wealthy man as his mom told him to ask for residuals. Doesnt Jerry Seinfeld make 800 million a year from Re runs, that is alot of porsches.

There are good cabinetmakers on the net and some of them talk and some just show you. The past I saw on bradshaw guy where he did talk some on safety and how he was taught and then working. Hard to find the good ones as there are so many content movie stars that come up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    grampa munster said he was a very wealthy man as his mom told him to ask for residuals. Doesnt Jerry Seinfeld make 800 million a year from Re runs, that is alot of porsches.

There are good cabinetmakers on the net and some of them talk and some just show you. The past I saw on bradshaw guy where he did talk some on safety and how he was taught and then working. Hard to find the good ones as there are so many content movie stars that come up first.
    A Lewis' mom was very wise!

Many actors learned from the experiences of those actors from Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch. They negotiated residuals from any reruns into their contracts.

Based on what I've read, Jerry Seinfeld receives between $40 and $60 million per year from "Seinfeld" reruns. That's far from $800 million, but yeah, still a lot of Porsches.

Lucille Ball asks for the rights to reruns to I love Lucy. The network was like who wants to see old shows. She got the rights for free but she had to pay to buy the machines to record them.
    Lucas got the toy rights for star wars basically for free and then invented the movie toy business. Sorry I meant collectable.
    BillD

sorry on the seinfeld number wrong, usually I say going from memory,

They said Lucy was ahead of her time and very smart businesswoman. She set things up the way she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Just a few days ago David Marks uploaded an episode of "Woodworks" on YouTube. Have you seen that show? It aired on DIY network and I think it's among the best woodworking TV shows. David posted a "short" where he said he will post more episodes of the show.

I admit David a is woodworking hero to me. I met him years ago and took him out to lunch. Super cool guy. He told me how hard he had worked on that TV show. DIY aired repeat episodes for years, but David received no proceeds whatsoever. He was really bummed about this and said he felt kinda foolish for allowing it to happen. I told him he was in good company considering "Gilligan's Island" the "The Brady Bunch" were in syndication for decades and none of the actors in those shows ever received a dime. He pondered this for a minute and said somehow that made him feel better.

So, I hope David can finally make some money from posting those Woodworks videos on YouTube. Check it out!
    I was told a story by someone who was in a position to know, that he was a bit ticked off that the show was put on DIY and not HGTV, which apparently has a larger audience, budget and everything else. I really liked his show, we could use more content like that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post

I looked one up, but only lasted about 20 seconds into it. Just not for me to spend time on.