Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cyanoacrylate (CA) Super Glue

Blog Entries

Favorite Cyanoacrylate (CA) Super Glue

What are your recommendations? I have found that some, in the past, are bad about plugging the nozzle so any that you have experienced in that regard get a go to the front of the line pass. Thanks
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I use Starbond "Super Fast Thin" CA glue for filling cracks. I also use Starbond Medium CA glue for thicker stuff. I also like Gorrilla Glue Super Glue GEL for adhesive on multiple things. I have never had a problem with clogged nozzles on any of these.

Oh, by the way, I tried Akfix 705 and hated it. It's like a cheap thick glue that's difficult to handle.

I use Stew-Mac #30. It's not cheap and if there's an equally good alternative I'll be happy to switch. I go through about a bottle a year, so it's not too bad. The nozzle does plug, but it's easy to reopen. If the plug is just at the tip I use a sharp pointed metal tool whose name I don't know, like a very pointy awl. If it's plugged a long way down I drill it out with a 1/16" drill bit.

A few places offer micro extension tips for CA bottles. I like the ones from Easy Inlay (https://www.easyinlay.com/product-page/ca-glue-tips), but you can find others around the web. These have a tiny opening, making placement of the glue more accurate. If the tip gets clogged, just snip off the end.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Addendum: Both the Starbond and Gorrilla Super Glue GEL were still liquid and usable even 4 months after being opened. The Starbond comes with micro extension tips as well.

I had both an opened and un-opened Akfix 705. Both solidified and were completely unusable.

Another vote for the thin Starbond and the included extension tips. Good stuff - I leave the extension uncapped for months and it never hardens in the nozzle.

Starbond for me. Lasts “forever” if you store it in the fridge.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Mercury Adhesives, Medium Flex, 2oz. (M300FM).
    So far, I've had it about 4 months, still good.
    Cap it immediately after use.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-11-2024 at 1:21 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Another vote for Mercury. The 1oz bottle has a nice no clog tip. However, I use CA in small quantities, so usually unscrew the entire cap, dip a straight wire in the bottle and put a drop or two exactly where I need it.

Tom

Another Mercury user for general use. Glu-Boost for a finishing CA (pen turning). Both have a stainless steel post in the cap to keep the spout from clogging. When i open a new bottle, i usually do a quick wax coating on the nozzle & threads which helps with clean-up. I also use Bob Smith's Super Thin for small cracks.

Finally--i keep old guitar strings handy, the B-string is about perfect for cleaning CA nozzles. Keep it in a small coil, then snip the end off as it gets bent or caked with CA. B or G string will clear nozzles on windshield washers, and the wound strings make a nice abrasive pore cleaner. Mine are usually Martin SP Light--but a cheap set of light guage acoustic strings would work as well as a tool. (@Zachary Hoyt--banjo strings would probably work too!! Violin players--i have no idea what old gut strings are capable of!!)

Mostly Starbond and Satellite City here. The tips are always clogged, I have a rotating stock of caps and tips that I just keep in a quart jar of acetone to dissolve the plugs. The glue itself lasts for years on the shelf, even with the most careful cleaning the tips and microtips are always plugged pretty much every time I pick a bottle up. With microtips they clog both at the skinny end and where the microtip joins the regular tip.

I use Stick Fast with the change-a-tip nozzles, Mercury adhesives. And some of the Starbond offerings that have colors/tints. Have had good luck with all of them. Mercury is probably my current favorite of the lot.

Clint

Whatever's cheapest. The tips always clog, eventually. If you have replaceable tips, you can try soaking them in acetone, assuming they're made of metal or a plastic that won't melt in acetone. You can use rubbing alcohol too, but it takes forever. And sometimes you can take a small drill bit and drill out the clog. Then soak the bit in acetone to clean it off. Though mostly I just buy the small bottles and replace them frequently. I try to get them in bottle about the size of the project I need, always assuming they won't last longer than one use.

I don't use it a lot for woodworking. It breaks down over time, so it's not the best long-term solution. But there are times when it comes in handy. Sometimes I'll prefer one brand over another, because they can have additives that make them better for certain situations. CA glue is a pretty broad category.

The best bottle at not getting clogged that I've found is Loctite's Gel Control Super Glue in the bottle where you squeeze the sides. It's pretty thick, so it's not always the best option. But I keep a bottle with my fishing gear and will reuse it dozens of times throughout the year, and it rarely clogs.

I didnt have too good of luck with the tightbond brand. The starbond works well and before that the fastcap stuff worked well. Id say I like the starbond best. I like the offering of color options too. Black/brown/white

I like Starbond, Stew-Mac, and the house brand from Highland Woodworking. But also use HF, and whatever I find at the local hardware store too. I like to use the small single-use tubes when I can, in order to avoid storage issues.
    < insert spurious quote here >