Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cyanoacrylate (CA) Super Glue

Very happy with Star-bond.
    Moisture is likely the problem for clogging. I always whack the bottle bottom on the bench when done to knock the glue out of the application tube as much as possible. Can't say I'm real good at doing this faithfully, but storing the capped bottles/applicators in a glass jar with silica-gel will reduce moisture inside the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Whatever's cheapest. The tips always clog, eventually. If you have replaceable tips, you can try soaking them in acetone, assuming they're made of metal or a plastic that won't melt in acetone. You can use rubbing alcohol too, but it takes forever. And sometimes you can take a small drill bit and drill out the clog. Then soak the bit in acetone to clean it off. Though mostly I just buy the small bottles and replace them frequently. I try to get them in bottle about the size of the project I need, always assuming they won't last longer than one use.

I don't use it a lot for woodworking. It breaks down over time, so it's not the best long-term solution. But there are times when it comes in handy. Sometimes I'll prefer one brand over another, because they can have additives that make them better for certain situations. CA glue is a pretty broad category.

The best bottle at not getting clogged that I've found is Loctite's Gel Control Super Glue in the bottle where you squeeze the sides. It's pretty thick, so it's not always the best option. But I keep a bottle with my fishing gear and will reuse it dozens of times throughout the year, and it rarely clogs.

Interesting comment that I've read before. I've used Starbond medium to glue on handrail returns. In over 10 years, not one has failed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Starbond for me. Lasts “forever” if you store it in the fridge.
    That's exactly what I do. I have a glass mason jar with desiccant pellets in the bottom, and bottles of Thin, Medium, and Thick CA glue in the closed mason jar in the fridge. Haven't had any go bad before I've used them up.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

What is not being addressed is, are some brands of CA glue better than other? And how do we define better? It would be nice if Project Farm would test CA glues at least in terms of strength of bond, and speed of curing.
    I make it a point to always wipe the nozzle with a paper towel, and tap the container to clear the tip after use, seems to help prevent clogging.

I cannot say if there are brands that are "better", but it's likely some are...how to quantify that, however? At any rate, I typically use StarBond and have some StewMac left in some consistencies. The biggest challenge is that I don't use it "a lot" so keeping things flowing as well as not cooking off and becoming unusable is the normal challenge. I keep a supply of new tops/nozzles because that's where most issues ensue with infrequent use, even with having a good habit of "banging them down" to clear the nozzle before putting them back on the shelf. I mostly use mid-weight, but keep both thin and thick. Also keep a container of brown for filling defects too small to warrant mixing up resin.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m the same as you Jim and I typically use StarBond. While I can’t tell much difference in the glue, the accelerator from StarBond is better than Mercury Adhesives. Could be the type of sprayer or a few differences in the % additives but it seems to work better.

Starbond's accelerator works with other CA glues. The aerosol spray bottle is far less expensive than the rattle can version, too. I recently bought some EZ Bond CA glue. It's about half the price, bonds just as well for my CNC projects and works well with the Starbond accelerator.

Starbond lasts a long time after opening. I'm not sure about the EZ Bond yet. Regardless of brand, I buy a big bottle, keep it in a fridge, and transfer it into 2 ounce bottles as needed. The EZ Bond looks like it has a shorter life once out at room temp. If that turns out to be correct, I'll start using 1ounce bottles. EZ Bond has a stronger odor than Starbond, for sure, and it's unpleasant.

John

Like Jim I have no favorite. One thing that helps keep it fresh is to get a supply of disposable micro pipettes. This way you don't have to tip the bottle and gum up the threads or a nozzle.

If you have a little acetone, you can even flush the pipettes with that and reuse them. I don't.

The micro-pipettes are great, but unfortunately, they're really only good for wicking the thin stuff which I rarely use. But I do employ them when they are the right choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Another Mercury user for general use. Glu-Boost for a finishing CA (pen turning). Both have a stainless steel post in the cap to keep the spout from clogging. When i open a new bottle, i usually do a quick wax coating on the nozzle & threads which helps with clean-up. I also use Bob Smith's Super Thin for small cracks.

Finally--i keep old guitar strings handy, the B-string is about perfect for cleaning CA nozzles. Keep it in a small coil, then snip the end off as it gets bent or caked with CA. B or G string will clear nozzles on windshield washers, and the wound strings make a nice abrasive pore cleaner. Mine are usually Martin SP Light--but a cheap set of light guage acoustic strings would work as well as a tool. (@Zachary Hoyt--banjo strings would probably work too!! Violin players--i have no idea what old gut strings are capable of!!)
    Thanks for the tip. I don't play a stringed instrument, but several friends do. I'm sure I can get a discarded B or G string.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The aerosol spray bottle is far less expensive than the rattle can version, too. John
    Normally that would be the case but I just bought 6 oz of the rattle can spray for $22.50 Cnd from Lee Valley. Amazon.ca has the 8 oz pump version for $50.34 Cnd with free shipping for prime members. Oddly Amazon.ca doesn't carry the aerosol version other than in a kit with 2 oz each of the thin, medium and thick glues for $58.62 Cnd. plus $40 shipping. Lee Valley doesn't have the pump version. I picked up the last aerosol can from Lee Valley Vancouver today (I wanted 2 cans but they only had 1) and the store clerk said it's difficult to get. Strange pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Normally that would be the case but I just bought 6 oz of the rattle can spray for $22.50 Cnd from Lee Valley. Amazon.ca has the 8 oz pump version for $50.34 Cnd with free shipping for prime members. Oddly Amazon.ca doesn't carry the aerosol version other than in a kit with 2 oz each of the thin, medium and thick glues for $58.62 Cnd. plus $40 shipping. Lee Valley doesn't have the pump version. I picked up the last aerosol can from Lee Valley Vancouver today (I wanted 2 cans but they only had 1) and the store clerk said it's difficult to get. Strange pricing.
    You're in the wrong country for bargains. Amazon USA has it for $17.49.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUVAY9K...t_details&th=1

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You're in the wrong country for bargains. Amazon USA has it for $17.49.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUVAY9K...t_details&th=1

John
    True but the link says $12.50 and "currently unavailable",

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    True but the link says $12.50 and "currently unavailable",
    Curious. It shows $17.49, in stock, and free delivery on Thursday for me.

John

I guess they don't want to ship to Canada. Oh well, at least I can get Kinder Surprise Eggs here.