Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Cyanoacrylate (CA) Super Glue

I use a good amount of CA glue throughout the year, typically just thin and medium. I don't really use thick much any more. The reason why I use a good amount, is I often use it to fill cracks, gaps, and other openings in my woodturnings. I twice turn my bowls, and will sometimes get cracks, or notice a bug hole, a knot, etc. I use thin for the smaller cracks, as well as stabilizing punky sections if it is spalted, or just soft end grain. For bug holes and the like, I'll use medium. For bigger cracks or separations, I'll use epoxy.

I buy the larger 16 oz kits from starbond now, where you get the big bottle, and then a set of smaller bottles and tips to refill as necessary along with a small bag of micro tips. The kits are usually around $50-60 depending on coupons at amazon. I store the big bottle at refrigeration temps, and only refill as necessary. I like having the big bottle as I don't have to buy as often.

I bought one of these packages because any thick stuff I ever used is not used frequently and it always sets up before I need some again. I noticed when I went to get this link that it says package of 12, but the box I received must have 50 of the little tubes in it. The tubes are tiny, but sometimes only a dab is needed. I used three tubes for a shoe repair yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YEN37K...t_details&th=1

For thin and medium I also like the bottles of Starbond that I know are over a couple of years old and still good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I don't play a stringed instrument, but several friends do. I'm sure I can get a discarded B or G string.
    I have a few of these hanging around from when I used Oxy Acetylene more often: https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770084.../dp/B002ACOXSQ

They come in handy for various things like this.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I just pulled some of my tinted Starbond bottles to use, (needed some of the black), and found that the tips on both my brown and black 2 oz. bottles had split along their length. The glues were stored in a bedding of desiccant beads inside a peanut jar as well as a smaller bottle of white. The glue still seems to still be good which I'll attribute to the desiccant.

At least Starbond sells replacement tips that fit their bottles and I now have an order in for those along with some micro-tips and other offerings from their site.

Probably wouldn't have happened if I'd have used it all up faster, but I don't go though the tinted as fast as the clear.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I have a few of these hanging around from when I used Oxy Acetylene more often: https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770084.../dp/B002ACOXSQ

They come in handy for various things like this.
    Oh yes! Those look familiar.... I took a welding class about 7 years ago.
    I still have that tool (nozzle cleaner?) somewhere in my tool box.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”