Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop or Soda?

In the military (doens't matter which service) you meet folks from all over the country, and even from US territories.
    I heard the different names for "carbonated beverages" (no hard and fast rules, of course) .
    Midwest (where I'm from), SODA
    Northern middle states (MI, MN WI) POP
    East coast: POP
    South: COKE... yep all soda was called Coke; how you actually differentiated between, say a Pepsi and a Dr Pepper, I have no idea. Also a "Soda" meant an ice cream soda.
    SW (where I am now)... because there are so many transplants/snowbirds here from other states and also Canada I hear SODA and POP about equally.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-11-2024 at 7:13 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Should have done the question as a poll. In Michigan, it is pop.
    NOW you tell me...

I hadn't realized there was so much use of "pop" in the US. Part of this might be because in movies and TV programs I always hear "soda" being used. Is this my imagination?

The bit about the South using Coke for everything was a surprise. We frequently use Coke for any cola drink but never for an orange or other drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I hadn't realized there was so much use of "pop" in the US. Part of this might be because in movies and TV programs I always hear "soda" being used. Is this my imagination?

The bit about the South using Coke for everything was a surprise. We frequently use Coke for any cola drink but never for an orange or other drink.
    I heard three people from the South use "Coke" for any soda... two from MS and one from LA... and I asked one of them "What about, say, 7-Up?" And she said, it's still "a Coke", until you actually order it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    It's soda pop. You know, like Ponyboy's brother in the SE Hinton books; Sodapop Curtis.
    Same here.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I say bubbler, which should letcha know.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

For me...
    Sprecher's Root Beer
    Hank's Birch Beer
    --or--
    Sioux City Sarsaparilla

One of the above every few weeks. I'm not what you'd call a drinker of pop or soda.

I'm from southern Ohio and it was always pop. I'll second the comment about being in the military and meeting people from all over, most said pop.

My all time favorite was from my first assignment in San Antonio. I made friends with a guy from "rural" TX. He had a friend from his hometown that would stop by and he always asked for a "sody water."
    * not sure if the spelling is correct

It's not like nobody asked this question before: https://popvssoda.com/
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    In the military (doens't matter which service) you meet folks from all over the country, and even from US territories.
    I had this experience when I moved to rural Oklahoma when I was in high school. If I said something, people did not hear it or did not understand it, they would say, "Do what?".

I was baffled by this and thought, "I wasn't suggesting you do anything".

Eventually, I figured out, "Do what?" was a local way of saying, "Sorry, I didn't get that".

When I enlisted in the Navy, oh yeah, major cultural differences!

Growing up in western NY state it was POP. In eastern New England it is SODA or in eastern Massachusetts sometimes TONIC.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I heard three people from the South use "Coke" for any soda... two from MS and one from LA... and I asked one of them "What about, say, 7-Up?" And she said, it's still "a Coke", until you actually order it.
    Years ago, I had a date with a young lady near Pensacola Florida. We went to her house for dinner before going to a movie. Her Dad asked me "do you want a coke?" I said yes, then he said, we have Dr. Pepper, 7 up, Cocola, etc.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm guessing the Coca Cola company decided not to sue the whole population of the south for violating their trademark.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Growing up in western NY state it was POP. In eastern New England it is SODA or in eastern Massachusetts sometimes TONIC.
    "Tonic" is technically tonic water which is soda water with quinine. The British military started drinking it with gin when they were deployed to tropical areas because the quinine keeps malaria at bay. After a while, they started drinking Gin and Tonic even when they weren't in the tropics. And rest is history...

Saw. a superbowl add for a new carbonated beverage company. Healthly good taste etc. They used the word Soda over and over. never pop.
    Looked like cool and trendy people use "Soda."
    BilLD