Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop or Soda?

Pop or Soda?

Which is it in your world?

Pop

Soda
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Doesn't exist.

It's soda pop. You know, like Ponyboy's brother in the SE Hinton books; Sodapop Curtis.

What I never did understand is people who called all soda pop "Coke". They would go to the theater and order an, "Orange Coke". On a picnic they would say, "Who brought the Cokes?" and "Where's the cooler with the Cokes?". Maybe it's like calling all copiers a "Xerox", all cellophane tape "Scotch tape" and all tissue "Kleenex"?

While you will hear both in Canada, pop is by far the dominant one. My impression is soda is dominant in the US.

West coast is Soda. Coke and Pepsi headquarters are in the east.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    At family home in Minnesota it is POP
    Down here in South Carolina it is SODA, but for some old timers it is COKE.

Howard Garner

Soda. And nowadays it's only Club Soda for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    West coast is Soda. Coke and Pepsi headquarters are in the east.
    Bill D
    I'm from Orange County, California. The whole time I was growing up it was, "Pop and beer".

Always been pop up here

We call it pop where I live. I had a friend in college who grew up in Missouri and called it soda.

There used to be a local place in Twin Falls, ID, that bottled their own. They were called The Popp Shopp. They had orange, grape, cola, lemon-lime and root beer. The drinks came in 12 ounce glass bottles, and you would take the empties back for a credit on the next case of 12. They closed in the mid 80's, when I wasn in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    We call it pop where I live. I had a friend in college who grew up in Missouri and called it soda.

There used to be a local place in Twin Falls, ID, that bottled their own. They were called The Popp Shopp. They had orange, grape, cola, lemon-lime and root beer. The drinks came in 12 ounce glass bottles, and you would take the empties back for a credit on the next case of 12. They closed in the mid 80's, when I wasn in high school.
    Thanks for reminding me!!!! I always went to the Pop Shop up here years ago..... used to love the cream soda flavor

We had Mehler's Bottling here in Erie and it was pop.

Soda here, although soda pop would pass without comment. In the south it's called "coke" no matter what brand or flavor. But there are actually maps you can find online that show the regional variation in what it's commonly called, although the many maps dont agree.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 03-11-2024 at 5:16 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    During my younger days, Coke was so prevalent, every soft drink was a coke, it just wasn't a cola.

Now, my soft drink of choice is usually flavored seltzer water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was at Penn State quite a few decades ago, we could easily tell whether someone was from the eastern or western ends of the state by what they called such beverages; soda to the east and pop to the west. To this day, I often refer to Pittsburgh as "the land of pop".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...