• Cold Drink

1 1.72%
  • Tonic

0 0%
  • None of the above

6 10.34%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you call non-alcoholic carbonated beverages;

Out here in CA, the Costco or Sams, can't remember which, sells "Real" Coke in glass bottles, made with sugar by the case.
    Nice to have on hand for those rare occasions or for a mixer.

Growing up - we only had Canada Dry Ginger Ale in the house - and that only because my dad liked a "high ball" for dinner every so often. It was a 50's thing.

Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks, while not banned - just weren't supported - if you wanted one, you used your allowance money to buy it.
    5 cents a bottle down at the Gulf gas station on Rt 19 & they sure didn't let you forget the $.02 deposit on the bottle!

We never really had a generic "pop' or "soda". Everything was called by name - Coke, Pepsi, Vernor's , Chocolate Soldier, Grape Nehi, Orange Crush, Tab - to name a few.

I joined the 'pop' camp when I met my wife and she dragged an addiction to the garbage into the house.

I'm surprised to not see Royal Crown Cola - RC Cola - RC - on the list. That was always huge south of the Mason Dixon. There's even a song about RC and a Moonpie.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Growing up - we only had Canada Dry Ginger Ale in the house - and that only because my dad liked a "high ball" for dinner every so often. It was a 50's thing.

Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks, while not banned - just weren't supported - if you wanted one, you used your allowance money to buy it.
    5 cents a bottle down at the Gulf gas station on Rt 19 & they sure didn't let you forget the $.02 deposit on the bottle!

We never really had a generic "pop' or "soda". Everything was called by name - Coke, Pepsi, Vernor's , Chocolate Soldier, Grape Nehi, Orange Crush, Tab - to name a few.

I joined the 'pop' camp when I met my wife and she dragged an addiction to the garbage into the house.

I'm surprised to not see Royal Crown Cola - RC Cola - RC - on the list. That was always huge south of the Mason Dixon. There's even a song about RC and a Moonpie.
    We had RC Cola in Southern California in the 1970s. My friends and I would walk to local liquor store and each buy a ten cent bottle of RC. RC had a promotion where they had prizes under the bottle caps. We could win a free RC or some change. We thought that was amazing. Then we could bring the bottles back and get a few more cents!

In the deep South we would say somebody needs to bring the cokes. I occasionally heard the term soft drinks but never Soda or especially never Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Dr, Pepper
    BillL
    Yep, I've been a Pepper most of my life. I limit myself to one a week now.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well folks, SODA has been closing in on POP, narrowing a sizable gap.
    The rest of the field lags far behind.
    This is a two label race, folks, SODA and POP are now neck-and-neck.
    Looks like it might be a photo-finish! Stay tuned!
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Here's a map of soda vs pop vs coke usage in the US.

Image 5.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Here's a map of soda vs pop vs coke usage in the US.

Image 5.jpeg
    Fascinating... thanks for posting that, Roger.

I have to wonder how that that SODA island in MO came about, considering that it is surrounded by Pop and Coke.
    The "Soda Island" encompasses ST Louis, were I grew up, so of course I would say "soda".
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Fascinating... thanks for posting that, Roger.

I have to wonder how that that SODA island in MO came about, considering that it is surrounded by Pop and Coke.
    The "Soda Island" encompasses ST Louis, were I grew up, so of course I would say "soda".
    Yeah, it's kind of easy to understand the South Florida "soda" from the amount of migration from the northeast. Really, the same with California too. The little white spaces must be where they call it beer or 'shine!!

Blog Entries
    Well it's a tie at the moment, but there is still time to show your opinion.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute