Thread: Painting newly built cabinets

Painting newly built cabinets

Hello

Hope everyone is doing well. My question is about painting both sides of newly built plywood cabinets.

I've primed all sides with 1 coat of primer. For the final coats (BM Advance), can I simply paint the sections that will be visible? Will the primer be enough on the unseen parts to counteract any temp/humidity changes?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Just paint the parts that show. The primer is more than enough for the unseen parts.

Commercial cabinet manufacturers only prime/paint what shows. Plywood is stable stuff.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Just paint the parts that show. The primer is more than enough for the unseen parts.

Commercial cabinet manufacturers only prime/paint what shows. Plywood is stable stuff.

John
    I don't do it much but I think I do as John does; prime all, paint the show faces.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Gents. Saved me having to buy a second gallon of paint!

Also, 1 coat primer is enough for bare wood yes?

Yes, as long as you get full coverage, with no bare spots after scuff sanding on the show pieces. On the parts that don't show, don't worry about it. I never prime those parts anyway.

If you haven't used Advance before, I think you'll really like it. It goes on great with a brush or roller, and sprays great with a little thinning. A word of caution, however. It takes a long time to dry, at least 16 hours, and a really, really long time to cure, at least a month and probably more.

John