Thread: Famag Bormax Forstner Bits…

Famag Bormax Forstner Bits…

Just got a set of these and thought I’d post here. Yes, they’re expensive, but I was at the end of my rope dealing with having to apply “tons” of pressure on my drill press to get my old bits to work, albeit not that great. To me, they don’t look all that different from my old set, however they sure do work great. Now it’s like drilling any other hole using moderate pressure with increased control. The resulting hole has very smooth sides and is very clean.
    First pic is the old bit…

They are nice. I like when i get to use them.

Blog Entries
    Pretty happy with these bits also, I will say some of the leading edges are ragged from the factory so I will them with an auger file into they are very sharp.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Yep these are great. Time will tell how long they stay sharp.

Fanmag seems to have become the "go to" for outstanding Forstner drill bits as well as some other types...and apparently deservedly so. They are on "my list"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I upgraded all the Forstner bits that I use to Famag. I have a lot of Forstner bits, including really big ones. Most of those are okay quality and don't get a lot of use.

I had a Freud set that went in increments of 1/8" and bought Famag bits for the 1/16" sizes between those. And replaced the Freud bits I use a lot. A problem was having a box for the 1/16" bits and Robin Lee sold me a box that worked. I don't remember how I wound up communicating with him about that.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-12-2024 at 10:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Agreed. I replaced my set with set of these. The Famag's are dedicated to fine woodworking and the old set for everything else.