Thread: Staining mistake - need advice

Staining mistake - need advice

I am redoing a 50-60 yr old piece of furniture that my great-grandfather made. I had to replace the veneer on the top shelf - so it is brand new cherry veneer. In the process of using Gorilla Wood Glue on other areas, a few drops spilled on the unstained veneer. I quickly wiped the drops off, but when I went to stain, those spots would not uptake the color. (No judgement please, while I've done a few cheaper pieces over time, I'm not very experienced at this) - So, I tried a quick sand of those small areas, but cannot get the stain to uptake. Now my brand new veneer is marred and I need help.

I used BEHR Oil-Based Wood Stain.
    20240313_074041.jpg20240313_074044.jpg
    Do I need to remove the stain and somehow remove the glue? How would I remove the glue except to sand the area?
    Attachment 516884
    I want to get this as correct as possible and will do whatever it takes.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Tammi Parvin; 03-13-2024 at 9:48 AM.

A recent video from Titebond posted on the Forum showed a mixture of equal parts water, vinegar, and acetone will remove yellow glue. I'd try that on the glue spot. Keep it wet and leave it on a good while, 10 - 15 minutes, then wipe it off with more of the mixture.

Wipe it with mineral spirits or alcohol after it has dried to see if the glue is really gone. If not, treat it again. Good luck.

John