Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

Blog Entries

Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

I just read that Virginia requires safe storage. I have my dads 22ga rifle that he had when he was a kid. I don’t know exactly when he got it but it’s pretty old. He was born in 1908.

the gun breaks down into two pieces and is stored in some sort of long sock that’s supposed to prevent rust. The last time it was handled was probably 20 years ago when a gunsmith friend went through it. He applied lubricants/coatings with archiving in mind. The last time it was shot by me was over 50 years ago.

So the gun is sort of disassembled and stored in a sock. There’s no ammunition in the house. What doi need to do to comply with storage requirements? There’s no way I’m getting a gun safe. Is there a lockable case that’s not too big? I can always just keep my trap shut but I would rather follow the law.

second question. If I take the gun to a gunsmith, can it be rendered inoperable in a way that’s reversible by a gunsmith? The idea would be to discourage a kid.

third question: Would a trigger lock suffice?

Blog Entries
    Call your local PD if you are unsure, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer but in my experience a pelican case with a padlock is acceptable.

FWIW, it's a .22 Caliber rifle.

Caliber is bullet OD for handguns and long guns.

Gauge refers to shotguns
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Call your local PD if you are unsure, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer but in my experience a pelican case with a padlock is acceptable.

FWIW, it's a .22 Caliber rifle.

Caliber is bullet OD for handguns and long guns.

Gauge refers to shotguns
    This. I don't think I'd bother with things like removing the firing pin, etc.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Assuming it's a bolt-action rifle, the bolt is easily removed without tools by holding the trigger back while moving the bolt to the rear. The bolt is easily hidden away somewhere else and without it, it's a useless rifle. I don't know if that makes it legal but it should.

Try to avoid the situation where your heirs have a boltless rifle. Or a rifle-less bolt.

You can check with the local PD (N.B. not always an authoritative source when it comes to things like this), but I suspect that if a trigger lock is sufficient for CA, it's almost certainly good enough for VA.

That said, my googling indicated that it applies only if there are minors in the residence where the gun is stored.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Check with your P.D. first to learn what is required in your area. There are a number of lockable storage cases available online for not a lot of money.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Yeach, my bad. Mistaking caliber for gauge tells you hat I’m not really a gun guy.

I called the local police department and they couldn’t tell me anything.

Google shows three gun stores in Falls Church area.
    Any of them would have the right answer.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A gun with no ammunition is pretty safe, IMO.

I have a similar situation absent the storage requirement- My grandparents' single shot 22 rifle. I last fired it maybe 40 years ago when my son was young, I doubt it would even fire now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    ... I doubt it would even fire now.
    I wouldn't count on that.

Speaking as someone who was once a kid, I also wouldn't count on a gun being safe just because there is no ammo handy.

Blog Entries
    I found a gun store in Arlington va. The guy says that the danger is pretty minimal (which I knew) and that he has some sort of cable lock I can put on it. He’s not comfortable working on a gun that old but he’s willing to inspect it to see if there is any corrosion. Then it will go back on a shelf in the shop for another couple of decades.

The gun is one of things that you kind of don’t want but it’s family…

I suspect the fact that it’s broken down, stored in a case of sorts, and there is no ammo on the premises = safe storage.

That said, Google is your friend here. I found the applicable statute in one search. You can too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

A trigger lock would keep it from firing , but it could still be used to bang a head in, and it could be used by someone hiding in your house , while you are not
    home. I like the keep it loaded , handy , and cleverly hidden, but easily accessed method.

Well, the OP's current set up is certainly safer than the one above!

Wow talk about being paranoid, get a gun lock and install it yourself. Or take to a gun shop and sell it, just a 22 caliber rifle something like I grew up with.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-14-2024 at 6:47 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10