Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

People on this thread seem to be sloppier than usual about who they're quoting/replying to. Just sayin'...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    There’s been discussion of minors. My living situation is a bit unusual. We built a house on our daughters land in Falls Church. We have no minors in our house but there are 4 grandchildren in the main house. Ages 8, 6 and 1yo twins. They aren’t yet to an age where I would worry but the day is coming. I like to be proactive.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have 5 seperate (full) gun safes. I was giving him a legitimate inexpensive solution for him. NJ is not an easy state to be a gun enthusiast in.
    Try being in Illinois. It's probably a horse race to see who can pass the most anti-enthusiast laws. I will end it with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    There’s been discussion of minors. My living situation is a bit unusual. We built a house on our daughters land in Falls Church. We have no minors in our house but there are 4 grandchildren in the main house. Ages 8, 6 and 1yo twins. They aren’t yet to an age where I would worry but the day is coming. I like to be proactive.
    Just get a hard side case that you can put a lock on. That will be more than sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That seems highly unlikely: removing the firing pin takes maybe 5-10 minutes max.
    Lee
    CT has safe storage laws. To meet the requirement really isn’t difficult, or costly. It doesn’t have to be a standing floor safe. A lockable metal box would do it.

Yes, removing the firing pins only takes a few minutes. I remove them from my shotguns all the time.
    If you’re a gunsmith, and you write a bill of sale that states you rendered a firearm inoperable, and all you did was remove the firing pin and hand it back to the customer, that would be an uncomfortable position to be in. I’m not sure that would be sufficient.
    Granted, the firing pin for his rifle is obsolete and probably impossible to replace. I don’t know that it would meet the definition of inoperable to just simply remove it.
    Again though, he needs to check with the authorities in VA. To understand his legal requirements. The internet won’t have his answer.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have 5 seperate (full) gun safes. I was giving him a legitimate inexpensive solution for him. NJ is not an easy state to be a gun enthusiast in.
    I'm glad to know you are aware of the laws in NJ.
    I incorrectly assumed you were unaware of the law in NJ.
    Forgive me if I annoyed you.

Threads like this are filled with so much misinformation I would rather risk annoying someone by making an assumption instead of risking letting someone run into a felony charge over bad information.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I lost my best friend at 9 yrs old to another friend who was showing off his father’s shotgun. Sweetest kid you ever saw. I actually lost both of them that day. It just took John 10 yrs of suffering to kill himself in a drunken wreck. These things happen! Also a gun owner of some 60+ yrs. My experience informs all of my gun related decisions. I have my Grands around every day. My guns are so locked down that if anyone breaks in I’ll hit’em with a stick. I can’t have it any other way. I have some of my Grandfather’s and Dad’s weapons. All are in excellent operable condition. I attach no sentimental value to a gun. It is purely a weapon. My kids don’t want them and I am disposing of them one by one. It was difficult to sell the Model 92, but I hadn’t shot it in years and I use the 500 all the time. I’ve taken the Porta-band to a couple. Roger, honestly, I would say get rid of it. Gift it to someone who will bring it back and enjoy it. There is no end to the ingenuity of an inquisitive child.

In Oregon putting a trigger lock on a firearm is considered safe storage. In Oregon a gun can not be transferred without a trigger lock or other locking storage device accompanying the transfer.

Any of these would qualify for securing a firearm in Oregon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trigger+l...f=nb_sb_noss_1

The gun shops buy the cheap $4.95 red plastic trigger locks with the 2 pin screw head in bulk and include them with every firearm to meet the safe storage law requirement.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-16-2024 at 5:06 PM.

I'm curious as to the actual gun in question. 22 that breaks down into two pieces causes me to picture a couple of very interesting pump action models. I've never encountered a bolt gun with that breakdown feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    I'm curious as to the actual gun in question. 22 that breaks down into two pieces causes me to picture a couple of very interesting pump action models. I've never encountered a bolt gun with that breakdown feature.
    I am not familiar with any 22cal rifles that break down either (Other than a Ruger 10/22 takedown rifle which doesn't jive with the vintage of the OP). On a 12, 20 or 410 gauge shotgun breaking down into 2 pieces would be quite common.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-28-2024 at 9:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    A friend gave me a cable lock so I had the gun out. It’s a Winchester model 12 22 long rifle. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in 1920. That jives with my dads story. He would have been 12 years old in 1920.

Did I give some indication that it was bolt action? It’s a pump gun. As I recall, it holds about 10 rounds.

Im pretty satisfied with the security. None of the individual steps I’ve taken is perfect but, in aggregate, they aren’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    A friend gave me a cable lock so I had the gun out. It’s a Winchester model 12 22 long rifle. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in 1920. That jives with my dads story. He would have been 12 years old in 1920.

Did I give some indication that it was bolt action? It’s a pump gun. As I recall, it holds about 10 rounds.

Im pretty satisfied with the security. None of the individual steps I’ve taken is perfect but, in aggregate, they aren’t bad.
    Just don't lose that key. Winchester Model 12 is a pump shotgun, you might want to recheck.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Just don't lose that key. Winchester Model 12 is a pump shotgun, you might want to recheck.
    oops. Remington model 12.
    I don’t care about the key. I threw the keys away. If I ever want to assemble it, an angle grinder should cut the cable. If that doesn’t work, cutting torch.

Frequently the phrase "safe storage" is taken to mean "storage in a safe" as opposed to the more common legal requirement of secure storage. Sometimes it's the same, but more often it isn't.
    On a side note Marlin made millions of "take down" .22 rifles. Models 39 and 39A from 1921-2007. Loosen the thumb screw; cock the hammer and they separate into two sections. This Model 39 is from about 1926.
    39-1.jpg
    39-2.jpg
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I have one of those model 12's that belonged to my Father's family. They were used in county and state fairs in the booths to shoot at moving targets with 22 shorts. Family history says that my Grandmother used to shoot groundhogs in the garden from the kitchen door with it. It was kept beside a pie safe in the kitchen for decades after she died in 1968, loaded ready to go to work just like she always kept it. I remember them letting me shoot it when I was five or six out that kitchen door.

Does yours have an octagon or a round barrel?