Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

I was born in a gun shop. My dad was a gunsmith. I have been wrangling with what to do with my small but highly prized collection. Not that many but all of good pedigree. I have three daughters, none of whom want anything to do with guns. They are worth too much to let them get destroyed, several are handmade customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    oops. Remington model 12.
    I don’t care about the key. I threw the keys away. If I ever want to assemble it, an angle grinder should cut the cable. If that doesn’t work, cutting torch.
    Model 12's are one of the finest working guns ever made. I learned with one, and was spoiled for life. When dad passed he gave it to my brother. I offered him a Browning Superposed for it, no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have one of those model 12's that belonged to my Father's family. They were used in county and state fairs in the booths to shoot at moving targets with 22 shorts. Family history says that my Grandmother used to shoot groundhogs in the garden from the kitchen door with it. It was kept beside a pie safe in the kitchen for decades after she died in 1968, loaded ready to go to work just like she always kept it. I remember them letting me shoot it when I was five or six out that kitchen door.

Remington 22 pump with an octagon barrel would probably be a Model 1890. Amazing gun to carry and shoot, perfect balance.

Does yours have an octagon or a round barrel?
    Remington 22 pump with an octagon barrel would probably be a Model 1890. Amazing gun to carry and shoot, perfect balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I was born in a gun shop. My dad was a gunsmith. I have been wrangling with what to do with my small but highly prized collection. Not that many but all of good pedigree. I have three daughters, none of whom want anything to do with guns. They are worth too much to let them get destroyed, several are handmade customs.
    You can be sure that when the time comes someone will be there to relieve your daughters of your collection, if you don't do it first.

BTW, I don't see a lot of women shooting at the range but those who are are prettty darn good.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 04-06-2024 at 7:42 AM.

I have a close to me gun shop who is more than fair when I purchase or trade guns, my wife has been told to take all over there and let them sell.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Since you know the value and desirability of the items in your collection and there's no interest in the family, make provisions now so that you can at least pass on the value, rather than leaving the task for your family where they might not benefit well "disposing" of the collection themselves. This kind of thing isn't limited to firearms...there are many things we might individually enjoy and know the value of that our families do not know and appreciate. Make a plan in advance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Since you know the value and desirability of the items in your collection and there's no interest in the family, make provisions now so that you can at least pass on the value, rather than leaving the task for your family where they might not benefit well "disposing" of the collection themselves. This kind of thing isn't limited to firearms...there are many things we might individually enjoy and know the value of that our families do not know and appreciate. Make a plan in advance.
    Make it a point to have my wife talk to the family auctioneer every time we pick up something from one of his online auctions. She has been told and I need to print out that if I go before cleaning out my junk. To contact him, contact and schedule the moving company, rent the AAA building at the fairgrounds for the auction. Get a check when all is done.
    ron

This thread piques my interest, and I took a look at my old Winchester Model 1906 that shoots only 22 shorts. A distant family member got it new for varmints in Montana (?). Got it from my Aunt who got it from another relative. We have an old family photo, which has the original owner (name lost). We all called him the 'Horse Thief', because of his looks.

Also have owned a Marlin 39A for 50 years. Never knew it broke down. Never know what you will learn on here.

My best one is a 70 (?) caliber 1810 Brown Bess. Too chicken to try firing it, even though I am told it is safe.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

While not a break-down, I had a .22 rifle in my youth and I could remove the stock, which would make it shorter to store.

Things were a lot different when I was a kid. As a senior in high school, we did a western themed play and everyone brought their handguns as props for the play. I borrowed a .45 revolver because my family only had long guns.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Speaking of different "back then".
    When I was in 3rd grade, a game called "stretch" became popular.
    2 kids would stand facing each other and flip a knife into the ground by the other's foot.
    If the knife stuck in the ground, you had to stretch your foot to where then knife was.
    You went back and forth and each took a turn until one or the other was stretched out so far they fell down.

It became insanely popular at school and every day at recess there were hundreds of kids in the field behind the school throwing knives at each other.
    Since bigger knives were easier to get to stick in the ground, the knives became much bigger. Pretty soon, large fixed blade hunting knives filled the air.

It was all good clean fun & I don't recall anyone getting hurt - aside from a small cut now and again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ya, need to do that now that I figured out I am not immortal. Have a book collection to think about too.