Thread: hydraulic fluid level

hydraulic fluid level

Being in my 70's and eyesight not as keen I have a quick question.
    I am having a terrible time reading the hyd. fluid level on my log splitter.
    The fluid is crystal clear and the dip stick is shiny which makes it frustrating to see the fluid level.
    Can I add a few drops of food coloring to the 7 gallons of fluid needed in order to aid in seeing???
    There is quite a bit of leeway on the dipstick but it is still hard to read.
    Thoughts??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I doubt that food coloring is oil soluble, but I could be wrong about that. One way to make reading the dipstick easier is to use reflected light to see where the line is, so look at it on an angle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I drilled a few very small holes in one dipstick. Think pin vise #60-80. Notches on the side are also used. A good dipstick is cross hatched to help see the oil.
    BilLD

Unless you have a leak (which should be fixed) the fluid shouldn't need to be topped off. My shop made log splitter form the eighties never needed any fluid added till front seal on cylinder went out. Took the cylinder apart, added new seals, and hoses, refilled with fresh fluid. Type "A" transmission fluid used to be colored red, and so did Dexton. Kingscote makes a dye for hydraulic fluid, and John Deer dealers stock one also. Google "red dye for hydraulic fluid" for several sources
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-14-2024 at 9:02 PM.

Peen or shot blast the tip to make it rougher and hold oil.
    BilLD

There are dyes that you can buy for hydraulic fluid. They are typically used for leak detection but would make it easier to read a dipstick in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    There are dyes that you can buy for hydraulic fluid. They are typically used for leak detection but would make it easier to read a dipstick in this case.
    You'll need a UV light and yellow glasses to illuminate the dye in order to see it.
    BillL

Petroleum based dye sold on Amazon for just that purpose in a choice of colors. Don’t know how to copy and paste a link on my phone.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Rekhaoil-Rekh...ps%2C95&sr=8-2

I run Royal Purple compressor oil in my big compressors just for that reason-so I can see the sight glass from a distance before cranking them up. I couldn't find Royal Purple hydraulic fluid in small sizes, but they might make it. https://www.royalpurple.com/product/...hydraulic-oil/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Rekhaoil-Rekh...ps%2C95&sr=8-2

I run Royal Purple compressor oil in my big compressors just for that reason-so I can see the sight glass from a distance before cranking them up. I couldn't find Royal Purple hydraulic fluid in small sizes, but they might make it. https://www.royalpurple.com/product/...hydraulic-oil/
    We found Royal Purple gear lube was pure crap. It didn't stand up to the temperatures in a three pump industrial hydraulic drive. What a mess it left. It was a scaley mess on everything. Like when a pie runs over in the oven. I don't know about anything else they offer. Our hydraulic oil all was ISO 46 or 32 if in the far north.

No problems with the two air compressors I run. They aren’t in an industrial process though. The John Deere hydraulic oil I run in the tractors is some darker than most of it.

I'm going to try and take the shine off with some 40grit sandpaper, I'll see how well that works!
    If not I'm going for the dye.
    Thanx for ALL the replies gang!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    I'm going to try and take the shine off with some 40grit sandpaper, I'll see how well that works!
    If not I'm going for the dye.
    Thanx for ALL the replies gang!!

Bruce
    I always hold the dipstick up and look across it so I can see the layer of oil on it above the metal when it's difficult to see. Dulling the shine of the metal will help though.

Years ago my Dad came to where I was working and told me that the oil in my truck wouldn't touch the dipstick, and I'd been so busy that he changed the oil in it for me. I had just changed it and used Castrol that was so clear it was hard to see on the dipstick. He said he was surprised that what came out of it wasn't dark. He was in his mid 80's then.