Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Car Damaged by Dealer, My 2 Options

New Car Damaged by Dealer, My 2 Options

I bought a new car that's set to be delivered by the dealer on Sunday the 17th. He just called and said they dinged the back of it while getting it prepped and washing it.

I have the option of waiting on the delivery and having them fix it. Or using our local body shop we've done a lot of work with and accepting it as is. The dealer says they will pay for the fix at our local body shop.
    I got pics of the damage and it's probably $400 to $800 to fix in my opinion. It's a dent in the back hatch about three inches in diameter with a paint chip of about one inch. I told them to go ahead and deliver it and I'll talk to my body shop tomorrow. But I want to be able to change my mind after I talked to the body shop and the dealers aware of that.
    What's the consensus here anybody got any ideas on something like this? Thanks in advance!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

They dinged it, they fix and warranty the fix.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    They dinged it, they fix and warranty the fix.
    Agree. I had the same situation with a PU that I ordered new. Dealer did the repair work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I sold cars for about 2 and 1/2 years . We checked the trade -ins for damage and Knocked off the value. When you buy another car ,your trade in will get that treatment. Demand a New intact car , or a big discount.

Cancel the order and have them get you a new, undented car.

Tesla somehow badly dented a new car I had ordered a couple of years ago. They hemmed and hawwed for 2 weeks saying how long the repair would take. What they initially said would take 2 days, was taking over two weeks. Finally corporate called, and asked if I wanted a new one being shipped in. I grabbed that. So, even though it took the better part of a month, I got a new, undamaged car. So, good on them.

Why in the world should you take a new car that's already been dinged before deliver? Plus, will CarFax know that the car has had body work? A good car detailer can tell (I usually can tell too), so when you try to sell it, that may reduce its value.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

So there's a large Subaru plant just a few miles away. A "retired" friend worked there for a while, for a subcontractor who inspected the vehicles loaded onto rail cars for delivery around the country. At the time, 15 years ago or so, the standard for damage that would cause the car to no longer be sellable as "new" was $1500. Less than that, and they would run them back into the plant for repair--there is a section that does that exclusively, including for vehicles that did not pass quality control coming off the line due to some paint or mechanical defect.

My friend told a story about the subcontractors there. One subcontractor loaded the vehicles and strapped them down. The subcontractor for whom my friend worked then inspected the loaded vehicles for proper securement. Well, some of the workers of the two companies got friendly, and the inspectors got a little lazy. So, one day the inspectors didn't feel like inspecting, so they asked the loaders if everything was loaded and secured. They said yes. And, for the most part, they were--except for three rail cars' worth of vehicles--probably 27 vehicles. Those did not get sold as new...or at all...except maybe to a scrapper...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

If you fix it it will show up on Carfax as having been damaged and repaired degrading your future value. I don't think repairs done prior to delivery show up that way, but I might be wrong. I think you may also be in for a shock when you get the estimate on repair. There is no ding so small that it will only cost 400-800 if any repainting is involved these days. I'll bet a good shop will want to replace the hatch, paint it, perhaps paint nearby surfaces to blend the repair, and the bill will be 10X what you are thinking. (I had what looked to me like a minor ding in my door, it was $5500 after they finished negotiating with the insurance company.)

I'd ask either that the car be delivered in perfect condition or with a serious discount. I'd for sure want to understand if the repair will show up on Carfax-- they don't distinguish major and minor damage very well and you can take a big hit on resale value, if you care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'd ask either that the car be delivered in perfect condition or with a serious discount.
    I worked in a car factory for 33 years -- we had a mantra when it came to buying our personal cars: Never Touch the Factory Paint!

Modern car paint shops have more in common with a high end chemistry lab than you think. Repair shops do a fine job of getting a repair to match, but it's just not the same on the inside.

I'd start with asking for a new car -- you're paying for a new car, why shouldn't you get one? If they want to sell you one that's been pre-wrecked, and you're ok with that, get a pre-wrecked price.

I'm aligned with John Wilson's thoughts. I also do not like needing non-factory paint. And what is under the new paint from the shop - filler material? Perhaps replacing the whole hatch-back is the better method than a spot repair?
    Trade-in lost value has been mentioned but if you drive it into the ground that isn't an issue.
    Are you fussy about maybe the repair color not blending perfectly down the road?
    In spite of the paid-for repairs, you are not getting a new, factory-fresh, car and should be getting a discount as well as the repair if you go that route.

I don't think it's been mentioned but the factory body rust warranty will be voided for that panel if a body shop fixes it. No way I'd take it at any discount, make them replace the panel before you sign for it.

I agree with what others have said: request a new car. If that doesn’t work out, have the dealer do the work BEFORE you sign the papers.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Most dealers around here take body work to a local shop, and don't do it themselves.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for all the feedback. We are going with a different vehicle identically equipped different color. Still coming on schedule same price!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I don't think it's been mentioned but the factory body rust warranty will be voided for that panel if a body shop fixes it. No way I'd take it at any discount, make them replace the panel before you sign for it.
    It's going to show as an accident and if you change insurance they may up charge for that. I would make them replace with a new car

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Still coming on schedule same price!
    This is the best outcome!

Good luck with your new car, and enjoy that New Car Smell!!