Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pry bars and Johnson bars

Growing up we had a pry bar about one inch diameter 5 feet long. point on one end bent flat on the other. Story is it was an axle shaft from a cement truck. Very similar to the Horrible Fright one but stiffer, much less flex.
    BilLD

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

spent some time on that folder and need lots more have tons saved. In looking see the last machine moved I drilled and strapped it to the Pump Truck and it stayed on and rolled out into the traierl using a winch to pull it uip. parking lot was terrible. I could get a better Pump truck they make double capacity and drill it and then once under strap the machine to that and also have hooks on it to put straps to the trailer. This was different than the machine before where I put it on a skid and then pulled it onto the trailer with a block and tackle.

Attaching the add on wheel way, ive see this done this was also another idea wheels on metal one on each corner strap it then it rolls out hooks on it then strap to those on the trailer this has a truck attached but on others they mount those wheels on each side and strap them on then just roll out, Skates are no good for rough parking lots. Ive saved A frames and other ideas. All have positives and negatives to them. Be too hard to set up a frame that could lift 4,000 lbs that you could still drive a trailer under and lower it down

thing I need most now is a heavier bar to lift than im using. Saw some Johnson bars go to 10,000 lbs. I lift a different way than they do and been fine but have reached the limit,. At times knees on the bar holding machine up so two hands free to put blocks under it. I see in the bars even have one saved from Essential Carpenter and it looks pretty good to lift then block up.

Last time used the Pump Truck as the dolly, then once in the trailer used the loops to attach and secured it and fasten it down. Then left on the dolly for a bit as spent time cleaning not done in 50 years.

Where do you find many choices of the very heavy straps used to move machinery by pros. Ive lifted a number of machines from the bases using heavy chain. It works great other than have to deal with the weight of chains I use for lifting. In most cases I bolted to the base of machines even if I had to drill holes that way I was lifting from the bottom then chains up above the machine and a forklift put their forks in up there. The good thing about chains is I can always adjust the length and balance points. Wont be able to do the same with straps buy may not need to in most cases just lift.

Each case a bit different had an enclosed trailer for the planer and no way to get the planer in even if there was a forklift at pickup. There wasnt anyway.

Looking and saving heres a simple bar beside the Johnson bar and sure they would work fine for the high capacity. this planer was okay to lift with the bar i have but would not want to do too much more even if worked fine was pushing it and needed more leverage.

I found higher rated Pallet Jacks 6,600 lbs 8,000 lbs and 11,000 lbs. Max length on all is 48". Some machines are over that and would have to add metal on top to support overhang if that was okay. Didnt see any with longer length forks for a higher capacity then most that are 5.500 if long forks would do a 4,000 lb machine.

rtrtr.JPG P1610827aA.jpgsdfweee.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-19-2024 at 10:43 PM.

This is the pry bar that has done all. It can inch a 2,500 lb machine across the floor if need but be mostly used to lift stuff up and put something under a machine. I peg its maximum at about 2,500 lbs approx, I can bend it big when under load and it never holds a bend still straight even after tons of bending. It had a lip on at least one end that I ground off. Ive sharpened the ends as well. May have photos of it before changing it, I always document stuff but its past and dont see it in a folder. If anyone has an idea where this would be from id like to get another to have a back up.

Ill have to get a Johnson bar now as saw ones up to 11,000 lbs. I wanted to lift a heavy machine with this and didnt even try as ive done around 2,500 enough times and while okay dont want to push it more. Longer will be more leverage. I have put a pipe over it before for more leverage as well.

37 inches long

1.JPG

one paddle end this the straighter of the two

2.jpg

side view straighter paddle end

3.jpg

other end more curve, alternating between ends when lifting works out great, one side often suits better than the other

4.jpg

The mark in the back that was there when I got it, this is from some trade, it was a concrete guy that gave it to me who worked past repairing foundations, he had no idea where it came from

5.jpg

Stuff gets lifted this way for the most part in this case lifted to put a hockey puck under the shaper

6.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-30-2024 at 12:34 AM.

Levers and wheels. I have moved each machine in my shop with a combination of pallet jacks, cheap HF furniture dollies, crow bars and framing lumber for leverage. Weights from 400 to half a ton, each moved solo. Unfortunately all my strong backed high school football players have grown up and moved, and I am too cheap to hire a rigging crew.
    When my wife expressed dismay at my attempts, I always say I used my brain to move machines and not my back.

id like to hire the guy that built and moved Coral Castle.

Right now studying heavy duty pallet trucks. Mine rated for 5,000 but tired so even 2,500 feels the most that should be on it. I see a whole level of 6,600 lbs, 8,000 and 11,000 lbs pallet trucks. I see they are 48". Be nice if they were a bit longer the odd time. Dont need the long length they go to and not even sure if they come in heavy duty.

The planer fit okay. Ill call and ask some questions on the heavy duty pallet trucks from a few brands. Need one of the large size johnson bars to to weld something up. It still has to be able to get under a heavy machine if its flat on the floor, or some other way to raise it up a bit to get the bar started