Thread: Drawer slides and Allen wrenches

Drawer slides and Allen wrenches

Colleagues: need a recommendation as to drawer slides for drawers to hold some tools. Two cabinets about 18” w x 16-18” deep. Faceless frame; full extension. Seems there is not much a of a price difference between the 50 lbs. slides and the 75 lbs. rated slides?? The Little Voice says get the 75 lbs. slide.

I’ve looked around the Internet (AKA World Wide Wait) at the various hardware sites. But I have no knowledge which are good and those to avoid at all costs!

Also do the Allen keys/hex keys with the ball head ends actually work?

Periodically I need to tighten an armrest on my chair and using the “L” shaped Allen is not the most efficient due to space limitations.

Thanks for advice.

Blog Entries
    I have always used Knape & Vogt side mount full extension drawer slides. I error on the heavy side and often use the 100 pound version. I hunted around on Amazon the other day and found some bargains that were mentioned in another thread that look very similar to the KV's I like.

https://www.amazon.com/Promark-Exten...hoC5jIQAvD_BwE

I like the ball end Allens for light use and for awkward spots where a regular Allen won't work.
    Best Regards, Maurice

For tool drawers I use 100# rated slides. KV 8400 or Accuride 3832 series are dependable side mount designs. You can save some money and take your chances on cheaper clones.

Ball end hex keys do work. They will probably not stand up well to extended heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    For tool drawers I use 100# rated slides. KV 8400 or Accuride 3832 series are dependable side mount designs. You can save some money and take your chances on cheaper clones.

Ball end hex keys do work. They will probably not stand up well to extended heavy use.
    Go for the KV 8405 or the Accuride equivalent. Same slide but with 1 inch over travel.

Blog Entries
    +1 for K&V 100# full extension slides. I avoid hex key or allen screws as much as possible. Maybe I have a deformed gene or something but I find them the most difficult screw recess to deal with. I use Robertson first, Phillips second and slot-head where decorative.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I used the KV 8450FMP slides and really like the soft close feature. They are 100# rated. My wife's pantry has a bunch of them in it and they see pretty heavy use.
    IMG_0405.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Gents: thanks for information! Now to figure to how many drawers I want/need to fit in the cabinets. Again, thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Gents: thanks for information! Now to figure to how many drawers I want/need to fit in the cabinets. Again, thanks..
    On the ball ends. If you spend the money on a good set, Mac, SnapOn, Matco they are awesome. Home Depot and its ilk, not so much. This is one of those tools that need to be made right, and I think a lot of the bad you hear are from people that spent $7.99 for a set. I use them constantly. I like the Mac set the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    On the ball ends. If you spend the money on a good set, Mac, SnapOn, Matco they are awesome. Home Depot and its ilk, not so much. This is one of those tools that need to be made right, and I think a lot of the bad you hear are from people that spent $7.99 for a set. I use them constantly. I like the Mac set the most.

Even those, the ball end is not meant to provide final torque and they will eventually strip too. None of those are my go-tos anyway.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Ball end allen/hex-key wrenches are made for accessibility not durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    As you will discover, the correct number of drawers is two more than you installed

Regards, Rod