Thread: Bosch 1618 Plunge Router

Bosch 1618 Plunge Router

I have been testing a 1 1/4'' inch surfacing bit coupled with the dust collector for this router. I'm planning to make and end grain cuttin board.
    The dust collector is as worthless as tits on a tom cat.
    I have it hooked up to a shop vac. The filter is clean and the vac newly emptied.
    I see little difference in the amount of wood particles needing cleaning up if I do not use it.
    This is the collector made specifically for this router,

Some routers have collection ports that are more effective than others, but how the router is being used makes a big difference, too. For a flattening operation like you're doing, collection is difficult for ANY router, even the best of the best when it comes to on-board collection. (Festool and DeWalt 621) Why? Because the big cutter is flinging the chips horizontally at a high rate of speed. Those of us who use CNC are faced with similar challenges for dust collection, but because of the nature of the tool, there can be a "hula skirt" that surrounds the cutting than helps concentrate dust collection air flow in a way that results in more material being picked up. That can sometimes be done on a flattening fixture, but it takes a bit of work and engineering. Otherwise...the best advice I can give is have your broom ready. I mean that seriously. 'Nature of the operation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I gave up trying to use dust collection on my handheld router after a couple tries. I make a huge mess when I cut dovetails, but vacuums up easily. Brian
    Brian

Thank you Fellows. I shall get out the brush and broom.

Yep, it’s a challenging tool for dust collection. The only bits where it really works well are where the chips are effectively trapped, like using an up cut spiral bit for mortising.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry