Thread: Ideas for a dust collector blower

Ideas for a dust collector blower

Hey all, long time lurker, but first-time poster. Wanted to get some ideas on what to do with a delta motor/blower assembly that I recently received.

Currently in my shop, all I have is a basic shop-vac hooked up to my tablesaw, and a festool ct 26 that I move around to connect to all my various tools. I don't have any sort of real dust collection system at the moment, but I'm not sure if it's worth using this blower, or saving up for a complete system. Could I just hook up a dust cyclone like oneida in between the input side and my tools, and then connect some sort of dust bag to the output side of this blower? What would you do?

It's a delta motor that looks something like this, but I only have the motor/blower fan assembly, nothing else.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-1-...3-T2/302270622

Hi Philip,

I used to have a one HP fan like yours, and attached it directly to my table saw with a short piece of 4" hose. It had a single small bag which worked just fine. Lots better than a shop vac.

My only problem was that the bag was nylon and shocked me with static electricity if I touched it. Simple ground wire to the saw cabinet fixed that. I put a switchable outlet bar on the saw to run it.

Since you do not have a base, a simple wooden stand with casters would be easy to make.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Phillip, That blower certainly could be added on to and made useful. I would keep it as a one tool at a time collector and create something like the bags, cart and plenum that are shown on the Delta. You could create a mount that would allow you to set it on top of a barrel or drum and exhaust the drum into a bag or filter. I have a section of a needle felt bag that is destined to be given or thrown away. It is less than 1/2 the size of the bags shown in your link. My DC is a homemade arrangement that uses a 2 HP Grizzly barrel top blower. I struggled for years with no dust collector, when I added a bench top planer it became clear that a collector was needed.

Phillips link + Parts images.
    Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 6.26.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 6.43.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 6.43.40 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-17-2024 at 7:52 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

You can use the blower with one of Oneida's Super Dust Deputy cyclone products...just match the model with the actual inlet size of the blower for best results Oneida can help you with that. I used this kind of setup in my temporary gara-shop while waiting for my shop building here at this property to get built and it was fine for the small shop setup I was using for the duration. It used a Delta 1.5hp blower with a canister filter and a bag for overflow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's my setup with a 1HP DC and Dust Deputy, not the greatest photos but I can take better ones if you are interested. I just used a cannister filter and no bag. I have a removable disc on top which I remove to inspect inside the filter. For moderate hobby use I just need to clean out the filter a couple times a year with a shop vac, most of the dust ends up in the container under the cyclone which also need emptying a few times a year.

dc1.jpgdc2.jpg
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 03-17-2024 at 1:15 PM. Reason: added content

To be clear, you have the fan and fan housing? If so buy a bag or two and hang it on the wall.
    BilL D

Thanks for the ideas all! I feel good about using this to replace the shop vac I am using for my table saw and planer. Last question, any recommendations on what to look for in a bag or canister? There are lots of options and sizes and not sure how to approach it. If I match up CFM on the bag/motor, would I be all set?

I have no experience with this personally and would suggest doing some additional research first, but I received an email from Grizzly this morning advertising a cyclone separator.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...eparator/g0863

The Oneida version may be better, but it's always good to have options.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly looks like a good source for bags. Be sure to check the measurements.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...ctor-bag/d3116

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 8.21.27 AM.png
    I used a regular sewing machine and modified the bags to make mine work. Woodcraft and others have the fabric.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/a...Ox7nSLXaOLHej8

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 8.32.11 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-21-2024 at 9:43 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

There is a company that will make a fabric filter to your specification. I had a 1 h.p. dust collector with the usual bag filters. They would get taut as a drum when running which I though at the time was a good thing until I found out different. The bag filter I received dwarfed the dust collector but hung limp when the dust collector was running which is what it should do. A bag filter has an advantage over cartridge filters in that it's easy to clean - just beat the outside of the bag.

https://americanfabricfilter.com/

But bag filters are not capable of filtering out fine dust to the extent that cartridge filters can (at least good ones with <1 micron filtration). And that's the stuff you don't want to be breathing. Gets far deeper into your lungs.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Only my 2 cents ,the Grizzly cyclone "the growler " - is a overpriced piece of poo .

For years, we have used the AP-400, with a Thien baffle in line with inlet to collect chips from drilling window holes in Toys for Tot's car bodies. You can go over to NC Woodworker and look up "Another vote for Thien Baffle" to see first ever top hat baffle