Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Band saw bolting

If you have a dial indicator, check the run out of the top wheel both the vertical and horizontal planes. The wheel may not be round or flat.

Run-out is a scary word, it suggests something along the lines of the wheel bores not being accurate.
    I was getting the exact same scribed lines before and after having to sleeve my bearings.
    which I done before dressing the face/lip of the wheels.
    I was worried that some kinda thing like a skewed bore or something along those lines prior to that, which wasn't the case at all.

And regarding a possible heavy spot, not that I had issue there
    I would be leaving that out until everything else was ruled out, a rather unanimous rule of machinery.
    but...
    If dressing the faces/lips of the wheels in order to lay something onto them with surety,
    one would likely notice the correlation of a small discrepancy in the thickness of the lip, and the highest spot when tramming or a clock if somehow getting the job done cleanly,
    as the nice eased edge on most wheels, does a very good job of hiding things, and that's with inspecting them with a keen eye,
    If unbalanced wheels did turn out to be problematic thereafter, one could ease that edge roundover more favourably.. what might be chosen to be done after one swaps the wheel back to front and addresses most of the meat on the other side.

Though for a Centauro, which most likely has an accurate groove machined into the wheels, no need to worry about aligning tires flush with the edge of the wheel,
    so worth making a tool for the job if tolerable, likely a more popular or intelligent choice, well...for a foot mounted machine like the specific era CO for instance.

SAM_7755.jpgSAM_7760.jpg
    A bit messy for a dial indicator, and I only had a mere 0.5mm of a discrepancy. (unnoticable by eye)
    SAM_7766.jpg
    I ended up turning my file upside down with the messy cast iron draw filing, so making sure the stock is thick enough instead,
    so one cannot use it upside down.
    File should be centred in a thicker handle.jpg

I understand the dial would be useful for those wheels with a taper lock system, ala Forrest, but not on any of the "modern" Italian wheels I've ever seen.
    Screenshot-2024-3-21 How to Mount a Bandsaw Wheel Forrest Manufacturing(1).jpg

Tom