Thread: Saw till - saw heel rest

Saw till - saw heel rest

This may be a basic question but thought I’d ask anyway just in case.

I’m building a saw till and initially intended to use a 1 1-4 dowel rod for the saw handles to rest on. Then I realized it’s $16 (canadian) for that dowel size and I don’t have a forstner but that size so instead of spending $40 on getting both I decided to improvise and cut a 2 in wide piece of wood and rounded over the top. I was thinking of attaching this rod with a single dowel on each end and gluing to the side. Is that sufficient to hold the piece of wood so that it doesn’t pivot on the dowel? I don’t want my saws crashing down. another option I thought of was to screw it in from either side. Does either method work?

First pic shows the shape I made and second pic shows friction fit where I want it. I’ve built two stretchers which aren’t shown which will be at the very top and then in the middle where the blades will sit
    IMG_1349.jpgIMG_1347.jpg

Blog Entries
    Your end grain to face grain joint isn't a very strong joint. The dowel will help, but to prevent rotation should the glue joint fail, add a small finish nail driven through the side into your rounded support.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Your end grain to face grain joint isn't a very strong joint. The dowel will help, but to prevent rotation should the glue joint fail, add a small finish nail driven through the side into your rounded support.
    This is a great idea! Thank you!