Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moxon style tail vise?

Brian, you have some beautiful tools, and really enviable machines - most if which are a testament to your handskills and mechanical acumen. All part of a dream workshop for many, including myself. Where do you find the time to do this and build the wonderful, finely-crafted furniture you make?!!

Congrats on some great choices for the new bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Derek! Much appreciated!

It’s not hard to find the time to work, more difficult to find the time to not work
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I like that vise, went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation.
    You're welcome Brian, I look forward to seeing it installed and working! I am anxious to see the bracket you come up with for your metal vise, I have thought about incorporating one but just never headed down that road.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to it! Couple week lead time on the vise, so that gives me time to prepare.

In the interim, cut holes for Veritas planing stops. After using a piece of wood screwed to the bench for the last 10 years or so, this is a vast improvement.

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

I checked across them with a straight edge as this will be important for flattening panels.

I also have the pin style.

I don’t plan to put very many dog holes in this bench, but needed a few since I use planing stops more than any other method. I looked into the traditional claw style but it doesn’t appeal to me.

Brian, I am curious why you went with this system - which looks like a permanent fixture - rather than the flexibility offered by the adjustable height of a stop built into the end of a bench ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    It’s a drop in stop, so it’s not permanent and quite a durable one from what I can tell. My worry with something like you show is that it will get broken out after repeated use.

Brian, you may wish to add this stop at some stage. It is very durable - mine is Jarrah and undamaged after several years, and I had the same on a previous bench. It there is any chipping, just plane it down. Anyhow, it lies below the board to be planes, as would the aluminium stop from Veritas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I’m not understanding what that is doing that the aluminum veritas are not doing? Both are a planing stop when you need them and gone when you don’t.

The aluminum stops are also able to be replaced with dogs and used as a way to lock the stock in place. I had a student using them in this fashion yesterday in order to pare tenons.

Im glad the solution works for you but I am suspicious of the durability of a bolt into end grain. Every connection threaded into end grain on my previous bench broke out, including the lie neilsen tail vise which I needed to repair about 10 times. It was a nice vise but the end grain connection would rip out in repeated use.

Stops screwed to the table top lasted, same with round dogs on other work tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’m not understanding what that is doing that the aluminum veritas are not doing? Both are a planing stop when you need them and gone when you don’t.

The aluminum stops are also able to be replaced with dogs and used as a way to lock the stock in place. I had a student using them in this fashion yesterday in order to pare tenons.

Im glad the solution works for you but I am suspicious of the durability of a bolt into end grain. Every connection threaded into end grain on my previous bench broke out, including the lie neilsen tail vise which I needed to repair about 10 times. It was a nice vise but the end grain connection would rip out in repeated use.

Stops screwed to the table top lasted, same with round dogs on other work tables.
    Hi Brian

The reason I went with the adjustable bench stop is just that - it is adjustable for height. It can be raised a few mm, or up to 20mm above the height of the bench. This makes it a flexible support for a wider range of board thicknesses than a fixed bench stop. That was my primary reason for my choice.

This has worked out so in practice and, since the Jarrah is stiff and the inside face is lined with Crubber, it is also a protective and non-slip surface.

The bolts are inserted into deep steel thread inserts. Over several years there has not been any sign of loosening - even a raised stop does not loosen over some weeks of use.

Regrds from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-24-2024 at 7:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I haven’t really had the need for anything taller than 1/4”. If I’m planing something tall and thin I usually put it in a vise, tall and wide stuff is usually fine with a short stop.

That said, my wood is not nearly as hard as Jarrah, typically, so that may play into it. With woods easier to pickup a shaving, they may not lift under pressure.

Blog Entries
    Leg vise is in. Works great, holds tight.

Also made a sliding deadman, works great but I may either make it wider or remake it to be wider. It’s a little tippy as it slides.

Awaiting the tail vise and when I have some spare time I’ll make a floor for the bench.

IMG_2145.jpgIMG_2144.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2140.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-26-2024 at 12:24 PM.