Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dept of Redundancy Dept

Dept of Redundancy Dept

Just saw this posted on news site:

NATCHEZ, Miss. (WLBT/Gray News) - A traffic stop led to the discovery of skeletal remains in Mississippi on Thursday.
    Natchez Police Department Commander Jerry Ford says officers pulled over the driver of a small pickup truck ... he told officers something “spontaneously” that immediately got their attention.

“The suspect at that time stated that he had information about a corpse in the nearby area,” Ford said...

“We came out and actually went off in the woods maybe 10 feet, and discovered that there was a dead corpse,” Ford said.... [Emphasis--mine--added]

-----

Good heavens... I wonder how the police would have reacted if they had found a live corpse?...
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

It makes one wonder what kind of education these TV people had. Such language is commonplace on our St. Louis channels. And all of them have to use the word "iconic" even if it's not appropriate--but then they wouldn't know that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

There have always been a lot of media absurdities. Although, it does seem like editors have been eliminated in favor to Spell Check. And "dead corpse" passes Spell Check.

A friend of mine tells a great story about the time his brother edited their small town classified ads. A woman was selling Great Pyrenees puppies and titled her ad with "GENTLE GIANTS!". Brother mistakenly typed it as "GENITAL GIANTS!" and it ended up on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno. Brother's only excuse was, "It passed Spell Check!". But hey, that woman quickly sold all her puppies, so she was happy.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 03-18-2024 at 1:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    ... A woman was selling Great Pyrenees puppies and titled her ad with "GENTLE GIANTS!". Brother mistakenly typed it as "GENITAL GIANTS!" and it ended up on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno. Brother's only excuse was, "It passed Spell Check!".....
    Too funny!

We have a guy (newscaster) out here that does that kind of thing all the time.
    Just the other dayLast year, the price of gas was 5 cents high than at this time ...last year.It's the old Austin Powers line, Allow myself to introduce...myself

Reminds me of the old joke about a small plane crashed into a cemetery. The count is over 100 dead, they are still digging up bodies.
    Bill D

Time references sometimes get a little under my skin...for example, "10 am in the morning". Is there a "10 am" in the afternoon or evening?? And yet, i hear those references regularly on newscasts, especially during the weather portion when we're told that "sunrise will be at 6:27 am in the morning".

Other than that, my life is pretty good!!

"Registered voters" Anybody not registered ever vote?

Hot water heater always gets me.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

One of my "makes me grind my teeth" favorites: [something or other] "declined down".

Well, good heavens! We certainly don't want it declining up!

Blog Entries
    From that area, the newscasters on WLBT are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but neither are any of the kids up here.
    For local news, and I think most national news, you need to be able to read the teleprompter with a straight face. That's it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    "Registered voters" Anybody not registered ever vote?
    Yes just look at all the extra ballots that are counted

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Yes just look at all the extra ballots that are counted
    Ive been looking for a verifiable and creditable source detailing extra ballot counting. Perhaps Jerome, you could provide me/us with such source?

Let's not go there about the ballots. The original statement is funny relative to the wording, but there will be no discussion of politics here.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-19-2024 at 6:47 PM. Reason: spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Let's not go there about the ballots. The original statement is funny relative to the wording, but there will be no discussion of politics here.

Jim
    Form Moderator
    lol, I was waiting for this.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson