Thread: Ad Blockers

Ad Blockers

Don't know anything about them, but I'd like to get one. I use Chrome as a browser. Should I go the the Chrome Store and pick one or is there something better.

I'm open to an education and recommendations.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I use adblock plus and it seems to do a good job for a free program. I occasionally try to go to a website that won't let me unless I turn my adblocker off. It just requires me to allow that website to be accessed.

Another vote for Adblock plus. It gets rid of an enormous amount of junk with very few downsides.

There are a number of sites like this one where the ads are not intrusive or an issue. When people use ad blockers, they take away money that helps fund the site. This is one of the reasons this site went to only contributes can see pictures.

Ad Blocker Plus, along with Privacy Badger. Keeps almost all the ads at bay. Now many you tubes have the ad built into video as an endorsement. About twice a month, You Tube gets me. Lay low for a couple days, and back to business. I always clear history before shutting down to get rid of cookies and other stuff.

Blog Entries
    A relative of mine works in cyber security at a major corporation. He recommends the Brave browser which is wired up to protect privacy. It blocks ads as well.

one thing I notice about ads and my very old iPad is that it’s the ads that cause long delays in pages loading. Sometimes sites just hang and I have to reload so I get a different ad that renders quickly. YouTube seems to have a remedy. They put up a pop up with a countdown. More than half the time, the ad never appears before the timer switches to a skip button. So I have no idea what the ad was for.

A thing that bothers me are the pop ups wanting me to subscribe to some newsletter. I go to a site intending to order something and there’s that pop up getting in my way. This seems counterproductive to what the business wants which is to sell stuff. Is it really worth ticking me off in hopes of getting my email address.

Also second this:
    "Ad Blocker Plus, along with Privacy Badger."
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I use adblock plus. The only other one I know of is ublock origin which I've never used and didn't seem as user friendly. Adblock plus used to have a default setting to allow certain whitelisted ads, which you can turn off. You can also whitelist certain sites. I used to use privacy badger but no longer, I think most of those features are included in firefox. I use firefox which comes with most default settings optimized for privacy and minimal tracking.

The DuckDuckGo browser does a pretty good job of blocking ads. Plus it blocks other possible intrusive stuff as well. You can see what it blocks besides ads by clicking after a site downloads. Sometimes there are numerous other sites wanting access.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    There are a number of sites like this one where the ads are not intrusive or an issue. When people use ad blockers, they take away money that helps fund the site. This is one of the reasons this site went to only contributes can see pictures.
    I use Adblock plus, but I set it to allow ads at SMC. Every little bit helps keep the lights on here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Ad Block Plus user for many years. I am often shocked when I use someone else's PC. I have actually forgotten how much junk you would wade through without one. I do a lot of things to lock things down. An ad blocker is just one blade on the Swiss army knife that I wouldn't want to be without. It can break things on some pages that use way-outdated methods but you can set exceptions easily and in a pretty granular way for your needs. That's why we call them "personal" computers ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I mostly use Firefox with uBlock origin and noscript. Noscript in particular is very powerful and can work too well, some web pages have significant parts and functions missing due to blocking Javascript. I can allow sites to run javascript once or every time I open the site. If nothing else I find it interesting to see just how many sites want to run scripts on popular web sites like ESPN or CNN. It's also useful to have a chromium based browser for sites whose developers only know Chrome.