Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Double Square tool quality

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Was Brown and Sharpe a good mfger? I bought an old BS indicator off eBay it was NOT a well made indicator. Made me question my own thought that Brown and Sharpe was a good brand.
    I can't speak to current quality but 30-40 years ago B&S was every bit as good as Starrett. I still have many of their tools in my machinist box.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    I just received my new Starrett 6" double square. Passes the flip test. Moves smoothly. Lovely tool.

I got mine from Iturra 904 642-2802. 80 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping. Pretty good deal. Lou has the 4" version for $60. And you get a really nice catalog if you ask. No relationship, just a happy customer.
    Lou is a treat to talk to - especially about delta-style C-frame bandsaws.

Those prices are eye-popping. $100+ and $120+ on websites. A few crates fall off a truck somewere?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have never had a combination square that is an accurate as any of the Woodpecker's squares. I use a Woodpeckers MFT Square to square up the miter head on my Festool MFT table. It's perfect. I have other Woodpeckers squares. They also appear to be perfect 90's. I guess the problem with all squares is to find a standard to compare to. I have always found that the simple plastic triangles (30, 60, 90 and 45) that you buy in art or drawing stores to be very accurate. So that might be a good comparison. Or, maybe we're all just a little too concerned about "perfectly square". I do know, however, that Woodpeckers squares are CNC and laser cut and labeled and that, when using them, I never have anything out of square if it shows square on a Woodpeckers tool.

Regarding the comments that you should not check a square with a square and the only way to check for square is flip and mark.

I am not disputing that, but on the topic of Starrett, they make a 6 inch machinist square, now made in China, 3020-6, for a couple hundred dollars. However, for $481, they make a made in USA Master Precision 6 inch square.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-20-6.../dp/B0002FUMA6

https://www.starrett.com/details?cat-no=20-6%20W/SLC

I figured for someone who owned this square, it would be something where one could perhaps check square with a square.

I dont know the model of Mititoyu I have but it says DIN 875/0. I emailed them past on my caliper and how beaten it is after a lift time of us and it still works perfectly. Plan to go out and visit them sometime with this square. I need to clean it really well then like to have it checked after all the years on it.

I guess everyone knows new framing squares are much worse. Bought a framing square to use on first job . Tested it at home and saw
    it was off. Told an older guy on job that the square was off ! He said “ they are all off ,you gotta file them, and flip over and file.
    I never turn down an old ,cheap framing square, Some are crazy heavy!

Using a cylinder square on a surface plate to check squares is the ultimate way but a bit exxy so I would use a good quality 123 block instead on a good flat surface. The best bang for the buck is to use geometrical drawing squares which are super accurate instead of a combination square but the Starrett will do me.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening