Thread: Help Identifying Finish

Help Identifying Finish

Hello! I am taking on a project re-create these plaques for a local organization. I am just finishing the wood, nothing to do with the lasered acrylic. The circular disc is located inside, the slab is mounted outside. I am making more of each and need to try and replicate the finish as much as possible. What do you think they are finished with? What would you finish them with? I have a sprayer so would love to do a water-based finish (there are roughly 30 of them).

I reached out to Minwax and they said their water-based spar urethane functioned the same as their oil base without yellowing ... I believe them about the yellowing being reduced but lasting as long as oil I'm not sure I'm sold on. Any opinions/experience of water based spar urethanes or suggestions of what you would use would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!image_67196673.jpgimage_67159297.jpg

My opinion is that using a film finish on these signs, especially those that will be outdoors, will not result in a satisfying look in a very short period of time. It's clear to me from the slab sign that it likely has an oil of some kind on it due to the ambering. For the cookies, which may be walnut, a water clear waterborne product is not going to look satisfying, either, right from the start because it will cause a dull, bluish cast to the walnut. Personally, I'd use a hand applied, penetrating oil product that can be easily renewed, at least for the exterior signs. If you want to spray something that's a film finish, Minwax's oil modified waterborne product might be a good choice if they have an exterior version available. Alternatively, Target Coatings EM9300 polyester has UV protection and is rated for both interior and exterior use. GF may have a product with similar properties...I don't know.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Neither looks like a lot of care was lavished on them. Definitely not a multi layer spar varnish. I'd guess some kind of penetrating oil finish. I'd look at Danish Oil or Tung oil for the interior one and whoever's exterior oil finish you prefer.

John