Thread: Upgrading My Sharpening Station

Upgrading My Sharpening Station

Picked up the Jet 8” SS grinder and the Wolverine jig system.

The Tormek will get turned 90 degrees and mounted on a turntable to the right hand side of the bench. It will be used for chisels, planer blades, kitchen knives, etc. 80 grit CBN on the left, 180 grit on the right.

IMG_0260.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 03-19-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Looks good, just watch that 80 grit CBN, it will remove material pretty quickly if you're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    Picked up the Jet 8” SS grinder and the Wolverine jig system.

The Tormek will get turned 90 degrees and mounted on a turntable to the right hand side of the bench. It will be used for chisels, planer blades, kitchen knives, etc. 80 grit CBN on the left, 180 grit on the right.

IMG_0260.jpg
    I have 80 and 180 grit CBNs on my Jet slow speed grinder and will be replacing the 80 grit with a 320 or 600 based on Ken Rizza's recommendation. Ed is correct, the 80 grit is very aggressive. I will also be adding a Tormek T8 Custom as soon as Woodturners Wonders has the Spartan 10" CBN wheels available again. Haven't decided which grit to go with yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I have 80 and 180 grit CBNs on my Jet slow speed grinder and will be replacing the 80 grit with a 320 or 600 based on Ken Rizza's recommendation. Ed is correct, the 80 grit is very aggressive. I will also be adding a Tormek T8 Custom as soon as Woodturners Wonders has the Spartan 10" CBN wheels available again. Haven't decided which grit to go with yet.
    I am considering doing the same thing. I should never need the 80 grit unless I am starting with a raw piece of HSS to make my own tool. I’m thinking 320 grit on the Jet and 600 or higher on the Tormek T4.

A few years ago I upgraded my sharpening station - essentially moved it to the top of a mobile cabinet that lives next to the lathe. When I made the move I also raised up the grinder so the shaft is just a little higher than the spindle on my lathe - a little more than elbow height. Best move in a long time - my back thanks me every time I use it…

I built a box that the grinder sits on and does double duty as an enclosure for the Gast vacuum pump - all vent openings are filtered.