Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love stories about clever people

Blog Entries

I love stories about clever people

This came from a microbiologist down the street:
    When she was in college in Colorado, students there wanted to brew Coors-like beer. So they wrote a letter to Coors requesting a sample of their yeast. Coors very politely replied with a letter explaining that the yeast was proprietary and ….. That was expected by the students because the reply was contaminated with Coors yeast. The clever students isolated the yeast, cultured it and brewed their beer.

Urban legend, I suspect. I doubt the brew master was the one responding to the letters.

Also, how clever can they be if they want to brew Coors-like beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Urban legend, I suspect. I doubt the brew master was the one responding to the letters.

Thanks for the laugh

and Prashun in for the WIN! LMAO, Well played, sir.

Oh, I suspect anyone and anything near the brewery would have enough yeast on it to culture if you had a mind to....

Back when I was an undergrad in college, Coors beer was not available in the Eastern part of the country, and the guys from the west kept talking about how great it was. So we chipped in money and next time one of the guys from Colorado went home for break, he came back with a keg or two of Coors. It was not well received. Granted, we drank it all, and it was marginally better than the 3.2 swill we could legally buy at the local dives, but there were no more claims about how great it was, that's for sure.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I had lunch with a guy a while back whose hobby was brewing beer. He told me he collected yeast by taking the tour of whichever brewery he was interested in and wiping a tissue on the floor.

And FWIW I sampled a neighbor's home-brew the other day and it might have been the best beer I ever had. No stolen technology but years of experience in choosing ingredients and brewing beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Oh, I suspect anyone and anything near the brewery would have enough yeast on it to culture if you had a mind to....

Back when I was an undergrad in college, Coors beer was not available in the Eastern part of the country, and the guys from the west kept talking about how great it was. So we chipped in money and next time one of the guys from Colorado went home for break, he came back with a keg or two of Coors. It was not well received. Granted, we drank it all, and it was marginally better than the 3.2 swill we could legally buy at the local dives, but there were no more claims about how great it was, that's for sure.
    The entire "plot" of Smokey and the Bandit, I never understood

I've lived in Colorado for over 20 years and I don't know a single person who drinks Coors. We have many outstanding craft beers in Colorado. Why would anyone drink Coors?

Obviously, somebody must be drinking it. I doubt Johnny Lawrence is keeping Coors in business all by himself.

When I first became aware of Coors, a lot more than 20 years ago, it was the closest thing there was to a craft beer, compared to the 3 or 4 beers widely available at the time. Not that anybody knew what a craft beer was. Things are a lot different now.

Colorado Kool-Aid
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    and Prashun in for the WIN! LMAO, Well played, sir.
    Amen. Couldn't have done it better ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

American beer I had past was water, canadian big names better but no hell. Neighbour asked me over canadian beer not long ago, just not great. Another friend longest employee at that company.

Last had german beers with a friend visiting from Luxemberg. What a difference.

Blog Entries
    Coors Lite, "more like water than water."

Coors and Olympia were the two brands fighting for the beer flavored Kool-Aid market out here in the west. Fortunately those of us in the San Francisco area had one of the original craft beers, Anchor Steam and later Anchor Porter. Sadly with the opening of brew pubs and then craft brewers Anchor kind of lost out.

Anchor Steam Beer.jpg

Unfortunately for Anchor brewing, impacts of the pandemic, inflation, especially in San Francisco, and a highly competitive market left the company with no option but to make this sad decision to cease operations.
    There were a few lighter beers brewed in San Francisco; Hamms, Burgermeister, Acme and Lucky Lager come to mind.

Hamms was from the "Land of Sky Blue Waters." Sometimes on menus it would be listed as Hamms (LOSBW) I would often joke that meant Low On Suds But Watery.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-19-2024 at 4:27 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

San Francisco sourdough bread is all made south of the city not actually in the city. Many call it french bread but all the companies making it have Italian names.

The yeast is Fructilactobacillus sanfranciscensis.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    San Francisco sourdough bread is all made south of the city not actually in the city. Many call it french bread but all the companies making it have Italian names.

The yeast is Fructilactobacillus sanfranciscensis.
    Bill D
    Sadly one of the sour dough bakeries that used to be in the city limits had an insurance company that wasn't too good. The "accident" put them into bankruptcy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)