Thread: No budget, but...

No budget, but...

I don't know if this is the right forum or not for this.
    My school is adding some space, and one room is designated as a design/workshop space. I'm making lists of what we need to make the room into a woodworking space (tools, benches, dust control, electrical, etc.)
    Right now, I have no funds available so I'm searching for solutions. Does anyone know if any organizations or tool companies will donate funds or tools to promote student woodworking? Maybe grant money?
    -Dan

Harbor Freight has a school grant program. I've not seen that from other entities, but there's no harm in soliciting them. Regardless, budget will still come into play because some things still have to be dealt with relative to power and safety, even if you can get lots of donations of 'stuff'. Check to see if your state/province has any STEM grants available, too. Many schools are offering "maker" type environments that include both subtractive (CNC, traditional woodworking, etc) and additive (3D printing) activities because that's where the world is at this point. Local donations/funding/sponsorship may also be an avenue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

High school?

Who has qualifications?

Not sure if this is paywalled (https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/...nging-it-back/) but seems similar to what you are trying to do - from the article:

Manasewitsch spent months networking with local woodworking clubs, rotary groups, retired teachers and even supply stores to collect enough tools, funding and mentorship to revive the program by the first day of school this past August, when roughly 100 students enrolled in the four inaugural woodshop “sections.”

I would check as to whether you need a PEng involved in dust collection design as well as prestart machine verifications.

There is a lot of liability in school shop settings, you should check with local authorities

That said, I’m glad you’re trying to get a shop class built.