Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router Bit won’t budge.

I always make sure I have the bit at least 1/8" from bottomed out. That way if it gets stuck a little tap on the bit will push it in the 1/8 and free it hopefully. It hasn't failed me. It appears you may be able to get something in the slot and lightly pry the bit outward. If you get that far tapping it back in may free it overall

Freeze and then heat on the collet would be my first throught, too. But if it's really that stuck, I have to wonder whether the bit didn't turn in the collet for some reason, and may be galled tight to the inside of the collet - in which case some reverse torque may be necessary to break it loose. I'd go with the cold and heat, but be prepared to clamp up the bottom of the collet and apply some clockwise torque to the bit, if it doesn't pop put.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I always make sure I have the bit at least 1/8" from bottomed out. That way if it gets stuck a little tap on the bit will push it in the 1/8 and free it hopefully. It hasn't failed me. It appears you may be able to get something in the slot and lightly pry the bit outward. If you get that far tapping it back in may free it overall
    Slight deviation from topic (but it may help the OP next time)....
    Would putting a "space ball' in the collet be a good idea? bad idea?
    (Someone here on the forums may have suggested this already...I know I read it somewhere.. not my original idea)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Patty, I don't think anything extra is needed, just experience. You should always be about 1/16-1/8" recessed from the back of the collet. Rule applies to handheld, bench or CNC routers.

If collet is open on motor end, drill a hole on some scrap wood that will support collet nut, Place nut over collet, then over hole in wood. Using a BRASS drift, drive bit out.

Give it a tap down that usually frees them. It's common problem with die grinder bits. I always give the shank a rap with one of the wrenches. Quality collets have a feature where if you keep undoing them , they pop .

I had to toss a router when the shaft taper spun. it was an old Craftsman Super Router, no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Also, when you do get it out, when reinserting this or other bits into the collet, i think it is suggested they not be inserted full depth . . . . which i am sensing this one was. Good luck. Patrick
    Yep, I’ve done that too….when I was a kid. Worked in commercial shops where the owners couldn’t figure it out ! Push em’ down then
    pull them back about 1/8th. That makes a BETTER grip ! And an easier trip OUT ! One of those “strange. ..but TRUE
    things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    And when the router bit bounces off the concrete floor, deposit it in the metal recycling bucket.
    So put a pad on the floor if you want to save the router bit. It is probably easier to replace than the collet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Couldnt you stick a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn it just a bit?

My curiosity is growing, is the bit out?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    (Someone here on the forums may have suggested this already...I know I read it somewhere.. not my original idea)
    Space balls are only 0.26" in diameter usually so I don't use them - with a 1/2" collet.
    You can get rubber washers that are closer to 1/2" in diameter so that's what I use instead.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of using anything that can unbalance something spinning at the RPM a router turns. If the space ball rolls to one side of the collet, I don't feel that's in any way a good thing.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 03-22-2024 at 12:29 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    My curiosity is growing, is the bit out?
    Not only "is the bit out" , but also, what is its condition and the condition of the collet?
    Meaning, is this a case of "the operation was a success, but the patient died" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Space balls are only 1/8" in diameter usually so I don't use them - with a 1/2" collet.
    You can get rubber washers that are closer to 1/2" in diameter so that's what I use instead.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of using anything that can unbalance something spinning at the RPM a router turns. If the space ball rolls to one side of the collet, I don't feel that's in any way a good thing.
    Good point...(Physics wins again!...Angular momentum! )

Patty

I forget who it was but one of the cabinet bit set companies(I remember they were yellow, at least I think they were) had a video describing them and he installed a fat Oring in the router and dropped the corresponding bits on the oring and thightened there. His were made to swich back and forth from rail to style with out height acdjustment using this oring. He said it doubled as a way to break that lockup.

Good point...(Physics wins again!...Angular momentum! )

Fat O-ring