Thread: Letter Carving — Easier than I expected

Letter Carving — Easier than I expected

I am not an experienced wood carver and this is my first attempt at letter carving. I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the process is. I got a used copy of Chris Pye’s book, watched a few YouTube videos, and went at it. Definitely far from perfect, but pretty pleased as a first effort.

IMG_0240.jpg
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

That looks nice! You certainly did better than I did. (My first couple attempts were so disappointing that I stopped trying.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice! Did you use one of the fonts he suggests?

DC

I agree that’s pretty darn good for your first go around. That’s a interesting piece of wood is it port orford cedar?
    Aj

You are ready to move on to expensive Mahogany, which is easier to cut than pine !

Looks very good. What kind of tools did you use? I've seen people use knives, gouges, chisels, etc. Seems like each guru has a different method.

I did use Chris Pye’s font (which you can download online) and a combination of double bevel chisels, fishtail chisels, and various gouges. I’m terrible with a chip carving knife and I find them awkward to hold so definitely staying away from that. Oh, and the wood is scrap piece of Ash with a big crack in the bottom.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry